Explore Science at Cité des Sciences et de l'Industrie

• Thread starter ccdantas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Science
In summary, the debate between Smolin and Damour in Paris in June 2007 is about the unsuccess of string theory and the troubles in physics. Damour is a more popular speaker and the favourite player according to the summary.
Physics news on Phys.org
Merci, Christine! I hope I can find a synopsis in English - my French is pretty shaky.

turbo-1 said:
Merci, Christine! I hope I can find a synopsis in English - my French is pretty shaky.

I think that I can help you here! It's just concerning a debate between Smolin and Darmour in Paris (June 2007). The page tells about the unsuccess of the string theory. Troubles in physics.

Thanks. I hope that the debate is transcribed into English.

Blackforest said:
The page tells about the unsuccess of the string theory.

:grumpy: It's not true! Your translation isn't literal.
The seminar is called "from string theory to quantum gravity"
and the introduction says that contemporary physics is unsatisfactory for the reasons we know and that there are two main approaches, ST and QG, that's all.
Today physics is unsatisfactory. General relativity and quantum physics constitute two manners of seeing the world. Each one is extremely well checked in its field (mainly microscopic for quantum, mainly astronomical physics for general relativity) but they are irreconcilable each other. As many physicists estimate, it must exist a more fundamental theory which makes it possible describing the world in a complete and unified way. The aspects of our current physics would be only approximations yet. The theorists of the whole world are searching of this unified theory, by exploring various and concurrent ways. These last years, two approaches were distinguished: "string theory" and "quantum geometry". Two champions of these approaches Lee Smolin and Thibault Damour confront here their designs of the world and their results.
That's French par condicio, one from ST vs one from QG...
I saw Damour two years ago in a conference, he is a good speaker quite famous in France.
So the favourite player would be him, he is the local one.

Last edited:
francesca said:
and the introduction says that contemporary physics is unsatisfactory for the reasons we know and that there are two main approaches, ST and QG, that's all.

I saw Damour two years ago in a conference, he is a good speaker quite famous in France.
Thank you for the clarification. That sounds like a more even-handed treatment of the field and it would make for an interesting debate.

francesca said:

Ok Ok Ok; sorry for the imprecision and thanks for the translation (I was too lazy to do it entirely)

1. What is the Cité des Sciences et de l'Industrie?

The Cité des Sciences et de l'Industrie is a science museum located in Paris, France. It is the largest science museum in Europe, with over 30,000 square meters of exhibition space and a planetarium.

2. What types of science can be explored at the Cité des Sciences et de l'Industrie?

The Cité des Sciences et de l'Industrie covers a wide range of scientific fields, including biology, physics, chemistry, astronomy, and technology. It offers interactive exhibits and activities that allow visitors to explore these topics in a fun and engaging way.

3. Is the Cité des Sciences et de l'Industrie suitable for all ages?

Yes, the Cité des Sciences et de l'Industrie offers something for visitors of all ages. It has exhibitions and activities designed for children, as well as more advanced exhibits for adults. It also offers workshops and events for families and school groups.

4. Can visitors participate in hands-on experiments at the Cité des Sciences et de l'Industrie?

Yes, the Cité des Sciences et de l'Industrie has a variety of hands-on experiments and interactive activities for visitors to participate in. These activities allow visitors to learn through experience and have a deeper understanding of scientific concepts.

5. Are there any special exhibitions or events at the Cité des Sciences et de l'Industrie?

Yes, the Cité des Sciences et de l'Industrie regularly hosts temporary exhibitions and events on various scientific topics. These exhibitions and events are often interactive and offer a unique and engaging way to learn about different aspects of science.