Exploring Door States: A Puzzle on Opening and Closing Doors

• Thread starter maze
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a puzzle where there are 1000 doors in a hallway and a process of closing, opening, and toggling the state of certain doors is repeated until the 1000th step. The question is how many doors are open at the end of this process. The conversation then goes on to mention a larger number of doors and the correct numerical result.
maze
Hey i posted this puzzle a few days ago in another forum, but the stickied thread is completely dead and I don't think anyone even reads it anymore, so I'm going to post it here. Plus I think this is the more proper forum as it is more of a puzzle than a math problem (though it is both).

PUZZLE:
In a very long hallway, there are 1000 doors all initially open.
First, you close every door.
Second, you open every other door.
Next, you toggle the state of every 3rd door (open it if it is closed and close it if it is open),
Next, you toggle every 4th door,
and you continue this process, at the toggling the state of every nth door at the n'th step.

At the end of this process (when n=1000), how many doors are open?

Here is a diagram:
http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/1967/door2rc2.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think I found the result numerically...

969 are open

is that right? Now let's see if I can derive it without computer :smile:

[edit]Cool, I didn't know spoiler tags worked here![/edit]

Yep numerically that's right. Now what if there are 10^100000 doors? ;)

maze said:
Yep numerically that's right. Now what if there are 10^100000 doors? ;)

For N doors, the number of open doors is: N-FLOOR(SQRT(N))

DaveE

correct indeed! nice one

1. How do doors work?

Doors work by using hinges or sliders to connect the door to the door frame or wall. When the door is pushed or pulled, the hinges or sliders allow the door to move and open or close.

2. What is the purpose of a door stopper?

A door stopper is used to prevent a door from hitting and damaging walls or furniture when opened too forcefully. It also helps to keep a door open when needed by holding it in place.

3. Why do some doors have handles while others have knobs?

The choice between handles and knobs is mostly a matter of personal preference and style. However, handles are usually easier to grip and operate, making them more suitable for heavy or frequently used doors.

4. How do automatic doors work?

Automatic doors use sensors, such as motion detectors or pressure sensors, to detect when someone is approaching. The sensors then trigger the doors to open and close automatically, without the need for physical contact.

5. What is the purpose of a door frame?

A door frame provides structural support and stability to the door, as well as acting as a barrier to keep out drafts, noise, and unwanted pests. It also serves as a decorative element, framing the door and enhancing its appearance.