Exploring Earth's Gravitational Influence: Escape Velocity and the Karman Line

In summary, if you travel 100 km up from the surface of the Earth, you will no longer be pulled by Earth's gravity and float into space. For objects with a mass less than 100 km, Earth's gravity will still be dominant.
gugicas
If we travel 100 km vertically from the surface of the earth, will we no longer be pulled by Earth's gravity and float into space? Same question as above yet with 1000 km. How far up vertically do we have to go to escape Earth's pull and how wide/long is the Earth's gravitational influence. Does an object stop being affected by Earth's gravity after it crosses the karman line if its mass is to small.
Im sorry for so much questions but if you could answer them all id be eternally grateful.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think? And why?

Here's a starter: What keeps the Moon going around Earth every month?

Question: what is a karman line? I am not familiar with this term.

Another hurdle to strictly defining the boundary to space is the dynamic nature of Earth's atmosphere. For example, at an altitude of 1,000 km (620 mi), the atmosphere's density can vary by a factor of five, depending on the time of day, time of year, AP magnetic index, and recent solar flux.[citation needed]

The FAI uses the Kármán line to define the boundary between aeronautics and astronautics:[7]

Technically, gravity is infinite. You feel gravity from every single thing in the "observable" universe. You'll certainly never notice almost all of it, but it's there. Since it propagates at light speed, anything beyond "observable" won't yet be felt. (But someday... brace yourself. :D)

Danger said:
Technically, gravity is infinite. You feel gravity from every single thing in the "observable" universe. You'll certainly never notice almost all of it, but it's there. Since it propagates at light speed, anything beyond "observable" won't yet be felt. (But someday... brace yourself. :D)
I think it would have been more helpful to the OP if you had waited for him to answer Dave's question, and thereby think about the issue himself, rather than spoon feeding him the answer yourself.

Likes Bandersnatch and davenn
phinds said:
spoon feeding him the answer yourself
I deliberately avoided that by making no mention of what constitutes a "gravitational well" which is what the question was about. Mine was a hint, not an answer.

jerromyjon said:
Another hurdle to strictly defining the boundary to space is the dynamic nature of Earth's atmosphere. For example, at an altitude of 1,000 km (620 mi), the atmosphere's density can vary by a factor of five, depending on the time of day, time of year, AP magnetic index, and recent solar flux.[citation needed]

The FAI uses the Kármán line to define the boundary between aeronautics and astronautics:[7]
That's irrelevant when just dealing with the effects of gravity

Lets wait for the OP to answer DaveC's questions

DaveC426913 said:
What do you think? And why?

Here's a starter: What keeps the Moon going around Earth every month?

Sorry for the late reply i posted this late at night. About
that question i think if you travel a 100 km up or even a 1000 km up you would fall back to Earth since you are still in its hill sphere and still in under its dominant gravitational influence. But a teacher of mine said that if we travel a 100 km up(person only no spaceship) that we would float into space since Earth's gravity only affects objects with such a small mass under a 100 km radius.

hi quqicas

OK now answer/comment on the second sentence in DaveC's post that you quoted

gugicas said:
But a teacher of mine said that if we travel a 100 km up(person only no spaceship) that we would float into space since Earth's gravity only affects objects with such a small mass under a 100 km radius.

I don't think you worded that quite right ;)
try again

DaveC426913 said:
The Kármán line is the boundary between Earth's atmosphere and outer space. It lies at 100km(62mi) above sea level
davenn said:
I don't think you worded that quite right ;)
try again
Sorry for that xD. A professor at my high school said:"If a person goes 100 km above sea level, he will float off into space because Earth's gravity only affects things with such a small weight up until 100 km line(Karman line). When he crosses that line he will float off into space because he wouldn't be affected by Earth's gravity". Edit: Forgot the apostrophe.

gugicas said:
If a person goes 100 km above sea level, he will float off into space because Earth's gravity only affects things with such a small weight up until 100 km line(Karman line). When he crosses that line he will float off into space because he wouldn't be affected by Earth's gravity". Edit: Forgot the apostrophe.

The Karman has nothing to do with gravity and floating off into space
its to do with the thickness/density of the atmosphere its ability to be able to support aerodynamic lift

so let's get back to gravity

again I ask you to ...
OK now answer/comment on the second sentence in DaveC's post that you quoted

cheers
Dave

The moon orbits around the Earth because of Earth's gravity.

gugicas said:
But you just said that anything over 100km up would float off ... do you think the moon is closer than 100km?

gugicas said:

yes that's correct ... well partly ... the moon has gravity as well, so its a mutual gravitational attraction between the 2 of them

So now answer phinds's question,

so maybe now you are starting to see the problems with your initial comments ;)

gugicas said:
If we travel 100 km vertically from the surface of the earth, will we no longer be pulled by Earth's gravity and float into space?
Have you even tried a web search for "earth gravity", before posting? The first hit is this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_of_Earth

With this nice graph:

Erdgvarp.png

Well sorry for pestering you guys, but thanks for these answers. I got it now.

gugicas said:
Well sorry for pestering you guys, but thanks for these answers. I got it now.
Your questions were not pestering. That's what this forum is here for, to clear up this kind of misunderstanding.

Likes davenn
gugicas said:
got it now.
Good. Then explain it to your teacher, if he/she really said this stuff.

1. What is Earth's gravitational pull?

Earth's gravitational pull is the force that pulls objects towards its center. It is responsible for keeping us and other objects on the planet's surface.

2. How does Earth's gravity affect objects?

Earth's gravity affects objects by pulling them towards the center of the planet. The strength of the gravitational pull depends on the mass of the object and the distance between the object and Earth's center.

3. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is the amount of matter an object contains, while weight is the measurement of the force of gravity on an object. On Earth, an object's weight is directly proportional to its mass due to the planet's gravitational pull.

4. Can Earth's gravity change?

Earth's gravity does not change significantly, as it is determined by the planet's mass and size. However, slight variations in gravity may occur due to changes in the distribution of mass within the planet, such as tectonic plate movements or ice melting.

5. How does Earth's gravity compare to other planets?

Earth's gravity is relatively strong compared to other planets in our solar system. It is about 9.8 meters per second squared, while Mars has a gravity of about 3.7 meters per second squared and the Moon has a gravity of about 1.6 meters per second squared. Jupiter has the strongest gravity in our solar system, with a pull of about 24.8 meters per second squared.