Exponential equation - how to use ln?

In summary, the student is trying to solve a homework equation, but is struggling because the numbers are not working out conveniently. After some substitution, they eventually get a quadratic equation.
dragonblood

Homework Statement

Problem: find t in the following equation

Homework Equations

[tex]64000e^{-1600t}+4000e^{-400t}=50000e^{-1000t}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the answer: [tex]t=6.17\cdot\;10^{-4}s[/tex]. But I'm struggling with how to get there. This is my attempt:

Factorizing down to:

[tex]1000(64e^{-1600t}+4e^{-400t}-50e^{-1000t})=0[/tex]

and further on:

[tex]1000e^{-400t}(64e^{-1200t}+4-50e^{-600t})=0[/tex]

I realize only what's in the paranthesis is needed, since the 1000e...is never zero:

[tex](64e^{-1200t}+4-50e^{-600t})=0[/tex]

I want to ln both sides, but I'm not quite sure how to do that, since there are three parts...

Physics news on Phys.org
dragonblood said:

Homework Statement

Problem: find t in the following equation

Homework Equations

[tex]64000e^{-1600t}+4000e^{-400t}=50000e^{-1000t}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the answer: [tex]t=6.17\cdot\;10^{-4}s[/tex]. But I'm struggling with how to get there. This is my attempt:

Factorizing down to:

[tex]1000(64e^{-1600t}+4e^{-400t}-50e^{-1000t})=0[/tex]

and further on:

[tex]1000e^{-400t}(64e^{-1200t}+4-50e^{-600t})=0[/tex]

I realize only what's in the paranthesis is needed, since the 1000e...is never zero:

[tex](64e^{-1200t}+4-50e^{-600t})=0[/tex]

I want to ln both sides, but I'm not quite sure how to do that, since there are three parts...

Big hint of the day: If you let x = e-600t. Then what does your last equation become?

Aha! So i get a simple second degree equation: [tex]64x^{2}-50x+4=0[/tex]

But I'm thinking now that these numbers were 'convenient'...are there other ways to solve this if the numbers don't play along this nicely?

dragonblood said:
Aha! So i get a simple second degree equation: [tex]64x^{2}-50x+4=0[/tex]

But I'm thinking now that these numbers were 'convenient'...are there other ways to solve this if the numbers don't play along this nicely?

Well, I can assure that, you'll rarely meet an inconvenient problem in high school, especially when you are just getting familiar with exponential equations like this.

After some substitution, an exponential equation in general, will become a quadratic equation, or cubic equation, or even a quartic equation (but in special cases, like: ax4 + bx2 + x = 0, which then can easily be taken down to a quadratic equation by letting t = x2).

So, don't worry. :)

What is an exponential equation?

An exponential equation is a mathematical equation in which the variable appears in the exponent. It is typically in the form of y = ab^x, where a and b are constants and x is the variable.

How do I solve an exponential equation using natural logarithm (ln)?

To solve an exponential equation using ln, take the natural logarithm of both sides of the equation. This will eliminate the exponent, allowing you to solve for the variable. Remember to use the property ln(e^x) = x to simplify the equation.

What does ln stand for in an exponential equation?

ln stands for natural logarithm. It is a mathematical function that is the inverse of the exponential function. It is typically written as ln(x) and is used to solve exponential equations.

What is the difference between exponential and logarithmic equations?

The main difference between exponential and logarithmic equations is that in an exponential equation, the variable is in the exponent, while in a logarithmic equation, the variable is in the base. Another difference is that exponential equations are used to model exponential growth or decay, while logarithmic equations are used to solve for the exponent in an exponential equation.

Can ln be applied to any exponential equation?

No, ln can only be applied to exponential equations where the base is e (Euler's number). If the base is not e, you will need to use a different logarithmic function, such as log or log base 10, to solve the equation.