Solve Exponential Equation: 2^x·ln(2)+3^x·ln(3)+4^x·ln(4) = 2x

• Thread starter juantheron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exponential
In summary, the function ##f(x) = 2^x\cdot \ln (2)+3^x\cdot \ln (3)+4^x\cdot \ln (4) -2x## has a strictly convex shape and its derivative has a unique real root, but this does not necessarily guarantee the existence of a real root for the function itself. Further analysis is needed to determine the exact number of real solutions.
juantheron
No. of Real solution of the equation ##2^x\cdot \ln (2)+3^x\cdot \ln (3)+4^x\cdot \ln (4) = 2x##

. The attempt at a solution

Let ##f(x) = 2^x\cdot \ln (2)+3^x\cdot \ln (3)+4^x\cdot \ln (4) -2x##

Here solution must be exists for ##x>0##, because for ##x\leq 0##, L.H.S>0 while R.H.S <0

##f^{'}(x) = 2^x\cdot \left(\ln 2\right)^2+3^x\cdot \left(\ln 3\right)^2+4^x\cdot \left(\ln 4\right)^2 - 2##

and ##f^{''}(x) = 2^x\cdot \left(\ln 2\right)^3+3^x\cdot \left(\ln 3\right)^3+4^x\cdot \left(\ln 4\right)^3 >0\forall x\in \mathbb{R}##

Means function ##f(x)## is Concave - Upward and ##f^{'}(x)## is Strictly Increasing function

and when ##x\rightarrow +\infty, f^{'}(x)\rightarrow \infty ## and when ##x\rightarrow -\infty, f^{'}(x)\rightarrow -\infty ##

So using LMVT, function ##f^{'}(x) = 0## has exactly one real root.

But I did not understand How can i calculate root of ##f(x) = 0##

Help please

Thanks in Advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
juantheron said:
and when ##x\rightarrow -\infty, f^{'}(x)\rightarrow -\infty ##
Are you sure about that?

There isn't a real root, but even if there were, this analysis won't give you the value of the root(s).

Can you show that f'(x) crosses the x-axis only once? And also, since you've already shown that f''(x) > 0 for all x hence f(x) is concave upwards, what can you say about f(x) where x is the turning point (where f'(x)=0)?

If you can't quite understand this, picture a general parabola that's concave upwards. It's essentially the same problem.

juantheron said:
No. of Real solution of the equation ##2^x\cdot \ln (2)+3^x\cdot \ln (3)+4^x\cdot \ln (4) = 2x##

. The attempt at a solution

Let ##f(x) = 2^x\cdot \ln (2)+3^x\cdot \ln (3)+4^x\cdot \ln (4) -2x##

Here solution must be exists for ##x>0##, because for ##x\leq 0##, L.H.S>0 while R.H.S <0

##f^{'}(x) = 2^x\cdot \left(\ln 2\right)^2+3^x\cdot \left(\ln 3\right)^2+4^x\cdot \left(\ln 4\right)^2 - 2##

and ##f^{''}(x) = 2^x\cdot \left(\ln 2\right)^3+3^x\cdot \left(\ln 3\right)^3+4^x\cdot \left(\ln 4\right)^3 >0\forall x\in \mathbb{R}##

Means function ##f(x)## is Concave - Upward and ##f^{'}(x)## is Strictly Increasing function

and when ##x\rightarrow +\infty, f^{'}(x)\rightarrow \infty ## and when ##x\rightarrow -\infty, f^{'}(x)\rightarrow -\infty ##

So using LMVT, function ##f^{'}(x) = 0## has exactly one real root.

Help please

Thanks in Advance.

The function g(x) = ln(2)*2^x + ln(3)*3^x + ln(4)*4^x - 2*x is strictly convex on the real line (what you call concave up --- an archaic terminology no longer used by optimization people), so there are either 0, 1 or 2 real solutions of g(x) = 0. What you checked is not sufficient to establish the existence of a real root; can you really say for sure that there must be a root?

Related to Solve Exponential Equation: 2^x·ln(2)+3^x·ln(3)+4^x·ln(4) = 2x

1. What is the general strategy for solving exponential equations?

The general strategy for solving exponential equations is to take the logarithm of both sides of the equation. This will allow you to bring down the exponent and solve for the variable. In this case, we would take the natural logarithm of both sides of the equation.

2. How do I use logarithms to solve this particular exponential equation?

To solve this specific equation, we would use the properties of logarithms to rewrite the equation as ln(2^x) + ln(3^x) + ln(4^x) = ln(2x). Then, we can use the power rule of logarithms to simplify the equation to xln(2) + xln(3) + xln(4) = ln(2x). From here, we can factor out an x and divide both sides by ln(2) + ln(3) + ln(4) to solve for x.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve this equation?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve this equation. You can use the natural logarithm function (ln) on your calculator to find the logarithm of each term and then use the other basic arithmetic functions to solve for x.

4. Can this equation have more than one solution?

It is possible for this equation to have more than one solution. However, it is also possible for this equation to have no real solutions. It depends on the values of the coefficients and the base numbers.

5. How can I check my solution to make sure it is correct?

You can check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation. If the equation holds true, then your solution is correct. You can also graph the original equation and your solution on a graphing calculator to visually confirm the solution.