1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exponential modeling of G-force

1. Apr 25, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Derive an equation of the form y=ax^b to model the given data: (35, 0.01) (28, 0.03) (20, 0.1) (15, 0.3) (11, 1) (9,3) (6, 10) (4.5, 30)

2. Relevant equations

Well, I know the answer is y = (7790 +/- 1246)x^(-3.698+/-0.1036) because that's what LoggerPro spits out, but I don't know how to derive it correctly without a program.

3. The attempt at a solution

Among the many, many attempts:

y = Ax^b
    b = log(y)-log(A)
    ****** log(x)

Then I inserted numbers from two different data points then set the equations equal to each other, resulting in:

log(0.1)-log(A) = log(1)-log(A)
    *** log(20) ****** *** log(11)

Which, after a step or two, became:

log(20) = log(11)log(0.1) +log(11)
    ************* log(A)

So, log(A) = log(11)log(0.1)
    *********** log (20) - log(11)

Yielding an answer of A ~ -4.01

However, that isn't right, so I didn't even try to solve for b.

Could anyone please help? This is a big assignment, so sorry if I bump this thread a bit until I get help. And please take me through the steps, because I don't want to copy, I want to understand. I just need some help getting there. Thanks.

P.S. Ignore the asterisks. They're there only to get the denominators in the right place.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2010 #2
    I would use the method of least squares.

4. Apr 25, 2010 #3

lanedance

Homework Helper

so starting with
    [tex] y = ax^b [/tex]

taking logs
    [tex] log(y) = log(ax^b) = log(x^b) + log(a)= b.log(x) + log(a)[/tex]

so plotting up log(y) vs log(x) should be a graph of a straight line... if you can work out the line of best fit for that straight line, you should be able to cacaluate a & b from them...

5. Apr 25, 2010 #4

lanedance

Homework Helper

if its really experimental data, the data is not perfect, so you can't use a single pair of data points - you should use the whole data set to find the line of best fit...

as zachzach points of least squares is a good idea

6. Apr 25, 2010 #5
    @ zach: Thanks, but no idea how to do that. And I posted this in the wrong subforum, because I'm in advanced pre-calc. So no calculus to help me please.

@lane: it's not experimental. That's an interesting idea though. I'll try it. Thanks a lot.

7. Apr 25, 2010 #6

lanedance

Homework Helper

then just plot the points on a log-log graph & draw a straight line of best fit on graph paer & work out the gradient & intercept

8. Apr 25, 2010 #7
  9. Apr 25, 2010 #8
    Thanks again, but that looks like gibberish to me. I've never used sigma outside of physics, for example. Maybe it wouldn't be that hard to learn, but I did google least squares and none of it really made sense to me.

10. Apr 25, 2010 #9

lanedance

Homework Helper

least squares is just a statistical method to give you the line of best fit through a set of data points

its derived by calculus, but doesn't require any to use it...

11. Apr 25, 2010 #10
    Good point.

12. Apr 25, 2010 #11

lanedance

Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook