1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Eigenvectors/values given matrix defined by bra-ket notation

1. Feb 28, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    sorry about the lack of LaTex but I dont know how to do bra-ket notation in tex
    vectors |1> and |2> are a complete set of normalized basis vectors.
    the hamiltonian is defined as |1><1|-|2><2|+|1><2|+|2><1| find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors in ters of |1> and |2>

2. Relevant equations
    for a normal matrix eigenvalues are

Det(A-Iλ)=0 solve for λ
    Eigenvectors are then
    A*v=λv

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried just making up 2 generic 1X2 vectors and plugging it into mathematica, but its ugly and im assuming its not what they want, is there some stupid trick im missing here?
    If the first sign in the hamiltonian was + instead of minus I know the first set of terms would equal 1 but its minus so im just lost here

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: Finding Eigenvectors/values given matrix defined by bra-ket notati

I may be misunderstanding your hamiltonian but it looks to me like that corresponds to matrix
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 1 \\ 1 & -1 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

If that is correct, then the characteristic equation is
    [tex]\left|\begin{array}{cc} 1-\lambda & 1 \\ 1 & -1-\lambda\end{array}\right|= (1-\lambda)(-1- \lambda)- 1= 0[/tex]
    [tex]= \lambda^2- 2= 0[/tex]

so the eigenvalues are [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] and [itex]-\sqrt{2}[/itex].

The corresponding eigenvectors are given by
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & 1 \\ 1 & -1\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x & y\end{bmatrix}= \sqrt{2}\begin{bmatrix} x \\ y \end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    so that [itex]x+ y= \sqrt{2}x[/itex] and [itex]x- y= \sqrt{2}y[/itex]

and
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & 1 \\ 1 & -1\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x & y\end{bmatrix}= -\sqrt{2}\begin{bmatrix} x \\ y \end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    so that [itex]x+ y= -\sqrt{2}x[/itex] and [itex]x- y= -sqrt{2}y[/itex]

4. Feb 28, 2013 #3
    Re: Finding Eigenvectors/values given matrix defined by bra-ket notati

How did you know the hamiltonian corresponded to that matrix?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted