1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expressing the limit of a sum as a definite integral

1. Nov 30, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Express the following as a definite integral:

Express the attached limit as an integral.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have gotten as far as every part of the answer except the upper bound. the answer is:
    (from 1 to 10) [x-4lnx]dx

since the definition of the definite integral is:
    a
    f(x)dx = lim Ʃ Δxif(x)
    b________Δ→∞ i=1

i set Δxi = 9/n since that approaches zero. f(x) would be left to 1+9i/n - 4ln(1+9i/n)
    so i set x = 1+9i/n.
    since n approaches ∞ and the upper bound of the sum is ∞, i plugged ∞ in for i and n.
    thats where I have trouble. ∞/∞ is undefined. when i plug 1 in i end up with 1 so that is the lower bound.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I don't think your infinite sum converges for any i - you sum over i which grows like i^2 and the log-expression does not reduce this enough (just grows with i*log(i)).
    If the sum is supposed to run from i=1 to n, this makes sense, and you get the maximal x-value simply by setting i=n.

4. Nov 30, 2012 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There's a typo in the attached limit expression. The upper limit on the summation should be n. As written it doesn't approach anything. The sum by itself diverges.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook