Simplify thisIs My Expression Simplification Correct?

• MHB
  • Thread starter tmt1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expression
In summary, expression simplification is the process of reducing a given mathematical expression into its simplest form by combining like terms and applying mathematical rules. It is important because it allows for easier and more efficient solving of complex mathematical problems and aids in understanding the relationship between terms in an expression. Common techniques used for expression simplification include combining like terms, factoring, using the distributive property, and applying mathematical rules such as the commutative and associative properties. However, not all expressions can be simplified, as some may already be in their simplest form or require advanced techniques. To effectively learn how to simplify expressions, it is recommended to practice regularly and familiarize oneself with different techniques, seek help from a tutor, or use online resources such as tutorials
tmt1
My textbook has the expression

$$\frac{4}{9} + 2 - 44 = C(\frac{11}{3})(\frac{17}{3})$$

and it simplifies it to $C = -2$

But I am getting

$$(\frac{4}{9} + 2 - 44) * 3 = C187$$

which simplifies to

$$(\frac{12}{9} + 6 - 132) = C187$$

and

$$(\frac{12}{9} - 126) = C187$$

then,

$$(\frac{4}{3} - \frac {378} { 3}) = C187$$$$( - \frac {374} { 3}) = C187$$

then

$$( - \frac {374} { 561}) = C$$

Am I wrong?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
In your first step, where you multiplied through by 3...you need to multiply through by 9 in order to clear both of those denominators on the right side. :)

tmt said:
$$\frac{4}{9} + 2 - 44 = C(\frac{11}{3})(\frac{17}{3})$$
Hints (more like suggestions):
Start with obvious:
4/9 - 42 = 187C / 9 ; multiply by 9:
4 - 378 = 187C

What is expression simplification?

Expression simplification is the process of reducing a given mathematical expression into its simplest form by combining like terms and applying mathematical rules.

Why is expression simplification important?

Expression simplification is important because it allows us to solve complex mathematical problems more easily and efficiently. It also helps in understanding the relationship between different terms in an expression.

What are some common techniques used for expression simplification?

Some common techniques used for expression simplification include combining like terms, factoring, using the distributive property, and applying mathematical rules such as the commutative and associative properties.

Can all expressions be simplified?

No, not all expressions can be simplified. Some expressions are already in their simplest form, while others may require advanced techniques or cannot be simplified at all.

How can I learn to simplify expressions effectively?

The best way to learn to simplify expressions effectively is to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with the different techniques. You can also seek help from a tutor or use online resources such as tutorials and practice problems.