What is the Definition and Characteristics of an Extended Real-Valued Function?

• Thread starter wayneckm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the author suggests that if a convex function achieves the value −1 at some point xo, then a degenerate behavior usually occurs. This is not always the case, however, as convexity is violated if the function's right hand side is undefined at the point xo.
wayneckm
Hello all,

Recently I came across the following statement:

What happens when a convex function f achieves the value −1 at some point xo? Usually, a degenerate behaviour occurs. For instance, suppose that f is defined on R, and f(0) =
− infinity. If f(1) is finite (say), then one must have f(x) = −1 for all 0 <= x < 1 and f(x) = +infinity for all x > 1.

Apparently there is no restriction on the function characteristics, e.g. continuity, on f, why is it a "MUST"? If f is continuous (is this allowed for extended real-valued function?), it seems this is not a "MUST".

Or please kindly advise me on the definition of extended real-valued function as well as its characteristics.

Thanks very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Surely there's at least one typo in there?

Anyways, I don't think the term "convex function" really makes sense in this context.

Oops, I think I omiited the assumption of convexity in f.

For [tex] 0 \leq \alpha < 1[/tex], by convexity, we have [tex] f(\alpha) \leq \alpha f(0) + (1-\alpha) f(1) \; \Rightarrow \; f(\alpha) \leq -\infty [/tex], so we deduce that [tex] f(x) = -\infty \quad \forall x \in [0,1) [/tex]

Similarly we can prove [tex] f(x) = +\infty \quad \forall x \in (1,+\infty) [/tex] otherwise it would violate the assumption of convexity, in particular at [tex] f(1) [/tex] which is finite.

Alas, convexity is violated anyways: we have now shown the right hand side of
[tex]f(1) \leq (1/2) f(0) + (1/2) f(2)[/tex]​
must be undefined. (being of the form [itex](+\infty) + (-\infty)[/itex])

So it seems the results rely on whether one define the operation [tex] +\infty + -\infty [/tex]? And are we free to define this kind of operation in the extended real number system?

In the extended real number system, [itex](+\infty) + (-\infty)[/itex] is undefined.

There is, of course, nothing stopping you from defining a different number system in whatever way you like whose numbers are extended real numbers.

More fruitful is to come up with an appropriate definition for the extended reals, rather than try to force a definition meant for standard reals to work.

Now that I think more about it, I suspect "convex function" really is a reasonable notion for extended real numbers. I would guess its definition would be equivalent to:
f is convex iff the set of all real numbers (x,y) satisfying [itex]y \geq f(x)[/itex] is a convex subset of the plane​
(One could write an equivalent definition in terms of the algebraic identity you used, but with ad hoc additions to treat the cases where the function is somewhere infinite)

What is an extended real-valued function?

An extended real-valued function is a mathematical function that maps elements from a set to the extended real number line, which includes positive and negative infinity as well as finite real numbers.

What is the difference between a regular real-valued function and an extended real-valued function?

The main difference is that a regular real-valued function only maps elements to finite real numbers, while an extended real-valued function can also map elements to positive and negative infinity.

What are some common applications of extended real-valued functions?

Extended real-valued functions are commonly used in calculus, statistics, and other areas of mathematics to represent and analyze continuous functions that may have infinite or undefined values.

Can an extended real-valued function have more than one limit as x approaches a certain value?

No, an extended real-valued function can only have one limit as x approaches a certain value, either a finite number or positive/negative infinity.

How is continuity defined for an extended real-valued function?

A function is continuous at a point if its limit at that point exists and is equal to the function's value at that point. For an extended real-valued function, the limit must also be finite for the function to be considered continuous.