Extension of a rod segment dx due to a passing longitudinal wave

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
bolzano95
Messages
89
Reaction score
7
Let us look at short segment of a rod with its length dx. Due to longitudinal wave, left endpoint moves for s in the direction of x-axis and the right endpoint moves in the same direction for s+ds.

Because I want to calculate the elastic energy of the wave motion, I need the extension of dx so I can apply Hook's law.

But I'm not sure what is my extension: dx-ds or dx+ds? In my textbook its written that the extension is simply ds, but I don't understand why.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the length of the segment in the resting state? How does this change when the ends are displaced as described?