1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Extension on a simple probability question

1. Mar 29, 2012 #1
    An experiment consists of tossing a pair of dice:

1) Determine the number of sample points in the sample space

2) Find the probability that the sum of the numbers appearing on the dice is equal to 7

Issue: Ok so I know how to do this problem, but my question comes with respect to the second portion. In this specific problem I am able to count the different sample points that make the dice add up to 7 i.e: 6/36 is the answer, but what if this was a larger problem? e.g: Say that instead of 2 dice I had 7 dice and I needed to find the probability of the seven dice adding up to 15....What technique would I have to use to find/count all those sample points? It surely can't be by counting each one individually?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2012 #2
    There are always many different techniques to solve probability problems. For example, I could define a discrete random variable S as the sum of 7 i.i.d. uniform random variables X~U[1,6]. Then, I could compute the probability mass function of S with 7 discrete convolutions, with the answer being F_S(15) where F_S is the pmf of S.

You can also use counting methods (combinations, permutations, etc.).

4. Mar 30, 2012 #3

Ahhh. You see I haven't reached that part of my text yet. I looked through it but haven't done any of the work involving those concepts, but now I see what your getting at. Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook