External direct products of cyclic groups

In summary, the conversation was about expressing a subset of complex numbers as an external direct product of cyclic groups. The group in question is already cyclic, but the challenge is in finding a way to express it as an external direct product. One participant notes that the group is cyclic, while another suggests that it can be expressed as a product with one factor.
lostNfound
I'm wondering if anyone can help me with learning how to write groups as an external direct product of cyclic groups.

The example I'm looking at is for the subset {1, -1, i, -i} of complex numbers which is a group under complex multiplication. How do I express it as an external direct product of cyclic groups?

Physics news on Phys.org
The group you posted IS cyclic.

Right. I understand that the subset of complex numbers shown is a group under multiplication, and I know that it itself is cyclic with i and -i both being generators, but I know it isn't expressed as an external direct product of cyclic groups.

lostNfound said:
Right. I understand that the subset of complex numbers shown is a group under multiplication, and I know that it itself is cyclic with i and -i both being generators, but I know it isn't expressed as an external direct product of cyclic groups.

It's a product with one factor.

What are external direct products of cyclic groups?

External direct products of cyclic groups refer to a mathematical operation that combines two or more cyclic groups to form a new group.

How are external direct products of cyclic groups calculated?

The calculation of external direct products of cyclic groups involves multiplying the orders of the individual cyclic groups and then arranging the elements in a specific way to form the new group.

Can external direct products of cyclic groups be commutative?

Yes, external direct products of cyclic groups can be commutative, meaning that the order in which the groups are multiplied does not affect the final result.

What are the applications of external direct products of cyclic groups?

External direct products of cyclic groups have various applications in mathematics, including in the study of group theory, abstract algebra, and cryptography.

Can any two cyclic groups be combined to form an external direct product?

No, the cyclic groups must have relatively prime orders in order for their external direct product to be well-defined.