1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

External electro-magneteic field acting on a wire

1. May 9, 2014 #1
    Hello, I am interested in knowing what happens ta wire trough which current is flowing, when an external magnetic, electrical or both , field is applied? Does the voltage or current change, can it be changed this way? Can you also provide some equations of this phenomenon, and also mix-induction, for example what happens to a wire which has an solenoid wrapped around it(leaving space between them), and if current flows trough the both of them or only one of them , what happens? This is only my personal interest in the topic, thank you in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2014 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since the wire is electrically neutral, but generates its own magnetic field ... what do you think?

4. May 10, 2014 #3
    I understand that with a varying magnetic field we can induce current in the wire, which will either oppose or lead the existing current, but is possible to change the voltage?

5. May 10, 2014 #4

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Induction refers to an "electromotive force", or EMF. Yes, this is a change in the applied voltage.

6. May 10, 2014 #5
    So to , for example, increase the voltage, do I need an electrical field or magnetic field, or combination of both?

7. May 10, 2014 #6

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If there is an electric field, the wire will feel it - the field is the gradient of the voltage.

For a magnetic field to generate an EMF it must be in motion wrt the wire ... just like any generator.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook