Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Extinction/Absorption/Transmission spectra

1. Oct 19, 2009 #1
    Hi,
    This must be a text book question but I couldn't find exact definitions(quantitative) of these measurements
    Extinction spectra:
    Absorption spectra:
    Transmission spectra:

eg.
    Lets say electric field spectrum of some location/surface is calculated by illuminating a source with and without the presence of an object.
    With the presence of the object = [itex]E_{transmitted}(\omega)[/itex]
    Without the presence of the object = [itex]E_{incident}(\omega)[/itex]
    Absorption spectra = [tex]\frac{E_{incident}(\omega) - E_{transmitted}(\omega)}{E_{incident}(\omega)}[/tex]
    Should it be [itex] E [/itex] or [itex] E^2 [/itex] (energy) ?

Can somebody point me to a book/ web resource or the answers to these definitions?

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2009 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Usually the absorption, reflection, and transmission spectra are given in terms of the absorbed, reflected, or transmitted *energy* (intensity) sisnce that is what is measured. Also, the spectra are (usually) obtained by normalizing to the incident energy, to remove dependence on the source illumination.

4. Oct 19, 2009 #3
    Could you give the exact definitions? Or any book?

Thanks in advance

5. Oct 19, 2009 #4

Born2bwire

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Any engineering electromagnetics book will deal with the absorption, reflection and transmission of a wave. For example, Constantine Balanis' "Advanced Engineering Electromagnetics." Pretty much though, the coefficients are simply the ratio of the reflected or transmitted field with respect to the incident field. The energy coefficients are the square of the field coefficients if I recall correctly.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook