What is the calculation for extinction cross-sections?

• Thread starter particle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Extinction
In summary, the conversation is about understanding "extinction cross-sections" and how to calculate them. The concept is related to particle resonant scattering and involves determining the size of the particle. The formula for calculating the extinction cross-section involves the scattered and absorbed electromagnetic waves passing through a particular volume and the area of the particle. However, there is confusion about what is meant by the "EM wave" and what should be used for the "Area" in the formula. The speaker is also looking for resources to further explain the concept.
particle
Can anyone tell me what is "extinction cross-sections"? and how could we calculate it? I know it's related to particle resonant scattering but I don't know how to calculate that. is that related to the size of the particle? I found something like (" scattered EM wave (passing thought a particular volume?)" + "absorbed EM wave (passing thought a particular volume?)")* Area) but I don't know what should be used as the "EM wave" part(is that the energy?) and I don't know what I should put in the "Area". Or do anyone know about some web explaining "extinction cross-sections" ? Thanks a lot~~

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to What is the calculation for extinction cross-sections?

What are extinction cross-sections?

Extinction cross-sections are a measure of the efficiency with which a particle or object scatters or absorbs light at a particular wavelength. They are commonly used in the study of atmospheric science and climate change.

How are extinction cross-sections measured?

Extinction cross-sections are typically measured using spectroscopy, which involves shining light of a specific wavelength through a sample and measuring the intensity of the light that passes through. The amount of light that is absorbed or scattered is then used to calculate the extinction cross-section.

What factors can affect extinction cross-sections?

Extinction cross-sections can be influenced by a variety of factors, including the size, shape, and composition of the particle or object being studied, as well as the wavelength of light being used. Environmental factors such as temperature and pressure can also play a role.

Why are extinction cross-sections important in climate research?

Extinction cross-sections provide valuable information about the interactions between particles and light, which is crucial for understanding the Earth's climate. They can help scientists predict how different particles, such as pollutants or greenhouse gases, may affect the absorption and scattering of light in the atmosphere.

Can extinction cross-sections be used to study other phenomena besides climate change?

Yes, extinction cross-sections can be used in a variety of fields, such as astronomy, chemistry, and materials science. They are particularly useful for studying the properties of particles and molecules in different environments and can provide insights into their behavior and interactions.