Extinction law -- How big is the extinction in the H-band?

  • Thread starter Thread starter CharlesDamle
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Extinction Law
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
CharlesDamle
Messages
17
Reaction score
3
Homework Statement
How big is the extinction in the H-band?
Relevant Equations
E(B-V) = A_B - A_V
Hey, I'm totally blank on this problem, and I'm not even sure what to solve for.

I'm told that the H band, which is in 1.63 μm, has an extinction law A_H = 0.591 * E(B - V) and I'm supposed to answer how big the extinction is in the H band.

And I'm confused because it involves the difference between the B and V band, and I'm not sure why I should use the wavelength of the H band. I'm tempted to say it is just 0.591
I'd appreiate any input.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: CharlesDamle
Thank you for the links.
No, it doesn't the equation, just states it in the introductory chapter.
 
CharlesDamle said:
Thank you for the links.
No, it doesn't the equation, just states it in the introductory chapter.
So are you able to solve the problem now?
 
phyzguy said:
So are you able to solve the problem now?
Yes, I figured it out :)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: phyzguy