Prove Conservation Laws Prevent H+H->H2 Reaction

In summary, the conversation discusses a simple and violent chemical reaction involving hydrogen atoms colliding in free space. The laws of conservation make it impossible for the atoms to form a molecule and they simply bounce apart. The conversation also includes a solution attempt, using the equations for conservation of momentum and energy, to prove this impossibility. However, the attempt leads to a contradiction, demonstrating that the initial assumption of the atoms forming a molecule is incorrect.
geoffrey159

Homework Statement

A simple and very violent chemical reaction is H + H -> H_2 + 5 eV (1eV = 1.6x10^-19 J, a healthy amount of energy on the atomic scale). However, when hydrogen atoms collide in free space they simply bounce apart! The reason is that it is impossible to satisfy the laws of conservation which releases energy. Can you prove this ? You might start by writing the statements of conservation of momentum and energy. Be sure to include the energy of reaction in the energy equation, and get the sign right. By eliminating the final momentum of the molecule from the pair of equations, you should be able to show that the initial momenta would have to satisfy an impossible condition.

Homework Equations

conservation of momentum and energy

The Attempt at a Solution

I assume that two colliding atoms of hydrogen with speed ##v_1## and ##v_2## do make a molecule of dihydrogen moving at speed ##v##, and want to prove that it leads to a contradiction.

Momentum before and after collision is conserved, so
## \left.
\begin{array}{}
|\vec P_i|^2= m^2 ( v_1^2 + v_2^2 ) \\
|\vec P_f| ^2 = 4 m^2 v^2 \\
\vec P_i = \vec P_f
\end{array}
\right\}
\Rightarrow v_1^2 + v_2^2 =4 v^2
##

By conservation of total energy, and because 5eV of energy is realeased in the chemical reaction,
## K_i = K_f - 5eV \Rightarrow \frac{1}{2} m (v_1^2+v_2^2) = \frac{1}{2}m v^2 - 5eV \Rightarrow \frac{3}{2} m v^2 = -5eV \Rightarrow v^2 < 0##

This is impossible so the assumption is wrong and two colliding hydrogen atoms do not make a molecule of dihydrogen and just bounce apart.

Does it look right to you ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Momentum2 before is not sum of v squareds but (sum of v) squared

Sorry for the error, I was too much in a hurry o0)

By momentum conservation,

##
\left.
\begin{array}{}
|\vec{P_i}| = m |v_1-v_2| \\
|\vec{P_f}| = 2mv \\
\vec P_i = \vec P_f
\end{array}
\right\}
\Rightarrow |\vec P_i|^2 = |\vec P_f| ^2 \Rightarrow v^2 = \frac{1}{4} (v_1^2 + v_2^2 - 2 v_1v_2)
##

By total energy conservation,

##K_i = K_f - 5eV \Rightarrow \frac{1}{2} m (v_1^2+v_2^2) = m v^2 - 5eV \Rightarrow \frac{1}{4} m (v_1^2 + v_2^2) + \frac{1}{2}mv_1v_2 = -5eV ##

But ## 0\le v_1^2 + v_2^2##, and ## 0\le v_1v_2## because ##v_1## and ##v_2## are magnitudes.

In the end, I get that

## 0 > -5eV = \frac{1}{4} m (v_1^2 + v_2^2) + \frac{1}{2}mv_1v_2 \ge 0 ##, which is a contradiction.

Are you ok with that now ?

No, ##v_1## and ##v_2## are vectors.

They are magnitudes here. What is wrong according to you ?

##\vec P_i = m(\vec v_1 + \vec v_2) \ \ \Rightarrow |\vec P_i |^2 = v_1^2 + v_2^2 + 2 \vec v_1 \cdot \vec v_2 ##
Your minus sign tells me you only consider head-on collisions, which may or may not be OK -- if you explain

It makes sense, thanks !

Fortunately, it does not change much the calulations and

##0> -5eV = \frac{1}{4} m (v_1^2 + v_2^2) - \frac{1}{2}m\vec v_1.\vec v_2 = \frac{1}{4} m |\vec v_1 - \vec v_2| ^2 \ge 0##

Contradiction. Is that Ok now ?

Looks good.

MIght have avoided this fuzz by looking in the center of mass system, where |P| = 0

Thank you for your help !

You're welcome

1. What are conservation laws?

Conservation laws are fundamental principles in physics that state certain quantities, such as energy, momentum, and charge, remain constant in a closed system. This means that these quantities cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred or converted into other forms.

2. How do conservation laws prevent the H+H->H2 reaction?

In the reaction H+H->H2, the conservation of energy, momentum, and charge must be satisfied. This means that the total energy, momentum, and charge of the reactants must equal the total energy, momentum, and charge of the products. Any reaction that violates these conservation laws is not possible.

3. Can you provide an example of how conservation laws prevent the H+H->H2 reaction?

If the reactants, H+H, have a total charge of +2 and a total momentum of 0, the products, H2, must also have a total charge of +2 and a total momentum of 0. If the reaction were to occur, the products would have a charge of 0 and a non-zero momentum, violating the conservation of charge and momentum.

4. Are there any exceptions to conservation laws preventing reactions?

There are rare cases where conservation laws may appear to be violated, but they are actually conserved on a larger scale. For example, in nuclear reactions, mass and energy can be converted into each other, but the total mass-energy of the system remains constant.

5. How do conservation laws apply to other chemical reactions?

Conservation laws apply to all chemical reactions, not just the H+H->H2 reaction. They ensure that reactions follow the laws of physics and maintain balance in a closed system. Without conservation laws, chemical reactions would not be predictable or consistent.