Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Extra forces to consider against a runner

1. Nov 19, 2008 #1
    Our physics instructor assigned us an extra credit assignment using vPython to make an animated system. The system needs to be something to complex for us to do by hand.

Right now I'm deciding what my topic should be. I think I'd like to do something about a system involving a runner.

My question is what are all the forces that act on a system of someone running around a track. I know there is +FN, -mg, -Fdrag, -Ffriction. I'm certain there is more to consider. Would anyone like to fill me in?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2008 #2

Gold Member

Welcome to PF, Wleemitch.
    I can't help you a lot, but you will have factor in the inner dynamics of the runner as well as the outer (just as you would with a car).
    Things like joint efficiency, strength of various muscle groups, length of stride, tendon elasticity, foot impact characteristics and stance will all make a difference.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?