Confused on (neutron) cross-sections

In summary: They all seem to rely on the 1/v law which is not really explained in a way that makes sense to me. In summary, I don't understand how the data can be so drastically different from what is stated in the books.
Jkay
Hello, I am looking at scattering cross sections for neutrons.

From basic scattering theory and the partial wave expansion I have understood that the reaction and scattering cross sections are dependant of each other. There can be scattering without reactions but only 1:1 the other way around - ie. scattering cs's are at least as large as that of absorption. There is a graph in blatt & wigner on page 322 showing this

http://books.google.com/books?id=R3...ner&pg=PA322#v=onepage&q=blatt wigner&f=false

BUT when i view data of neutron cross-sections such as
http://www.ncnr.nist.gov/resources/n-lengths/elements/b.html

for boron, i notice the thermal capture cross-section is more than a thousand times larger.

Have i understood something fundamentally wrong, or am I just missing something?

Engineering news on Phys.org
One may be comparing fast neutrons (or other particles) in the Blatt, Wigner book, with thermal neutrons.

Look at the cross-section of B-10 for neutrons. The absorption cross-section is huge, but decreases with energy. Part of that is the mass of B-10 compared to the neutron, as opposed to a nuclide of an element like Fe or U.

In the MeV range, one is likely to get more scattering than absorption. One also has to look at the aspects of potential scattering vs resonance aborption, and elastic scattering versus inelastic scattering vs absorption.

Astronuc said:
One may be comparing fast neutrons (or other particles) in the Blatt, Wigner book, with thermal neutrons.

Look at the cross-section of B-10 for neutrons. The absorption cross-section is huge, but decreases with energy. Part of that is the mass of B-10 compared to the neutron, as opposed to a nuclide of an element like Fe or U.

In the MeV range, one is likely to get more scattering than absorption. One also has to look at the aspects of potential scattering vs resonance aborption, and elastic scattering versus inelastic scattering vs absorption.

Hello and thanks for the answer.

B-10 is pretty much resonance free what I've understood. And it has a huge absorption cross-section indeed in the thermal area.

However, I do not understand where the logic of the basic partial wave expansion used in Blatt & Wigner (on the pages before the one i pasted in google books) breaks. As it is truly just scattering theory without any mentions of the speed of the neutron.

Also, is it assumed in the nist data that the scattering cs is independent of energy? (as it only says thermal, for the absorbption one)

I am still quite confused about how this works. The explanation of the 1/v law in the book is also based on the same results which i don't think fit together with data.

Hmm, I still can't really get my head around it, both krane, bölatt&wigner and debenedetti state through a partial wave expansion that the scattering cross section has to be at least as big as the reaction one. I don't understand how data can be so totally different then.

I also feel the explanations for the one over v law to be pretty weird in these books.

What are neutron cross-sections?

Neutron cross-sections refer to the measure of the probability of a neutron interacting with a target nucleus in a given area. It is used to describe the likelihood of a neutron being absorbed, scattered, or transmitted by a substance.

Why are neutron cross-sections important in scientific research?

Neutron cross-sections are important in scientific research because they play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of neutrons and their interactions with matter. They are used in a variety of fields such as nuclear physics, nuclear engineering, and radiation protection.

How are neutron cross-sections measured?

Neutron cross-sections are typically measured through experiments using a neutron beam and a target material. The results are then compared to theoretical predictions and other experimental data to validate and refine our understanding of neutron interactions.

What factors can affect neutron cross-sections?

The factors that can affect neutron cross-sections include the energy of the neutron, the type of nucleus in the target material, and the angle at which the neutron approaches the nucleus. Additionally, temperature, pressure, and the chemical environment can also influence neutron cross-sections.

Why do neutron cross-sections vary for different elements?

Neutron cross-sections vary for different elements because of the differences in their nuclear structure. The size, shape, and composition of the nucleus can affect how a neutron interacts with it, leading to variations in cross-section values. The number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus also plays a role in determining the cross-section.