1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Extrema/LaGrange in Vector Calc

1. Sep 29, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the extrema of f(x,y)=x-y ; subject to x2-y2=2

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]\nabla[/tex]g=(2x, -2x)

(1,-1)=[tex]\lambda[/tex](2x, -2x)

1 = [tex]\lambda[/tex](2x) -> [tex]\lambda[/tex]=[tex]\frac{1}{2x}[/tex]

-1 = [tex]\lambda[/tex](-2y) -> [tex]\lambda[/tex]=[tex]\frac{1}{2y}[/tex]

Which means x = y , but it has to satisfy x2-y2=2 and if x=y then it cannot satisfy this meaning there are no extrema for this set of equations.

Am i right??? I tried working it out with other methods but it just keeps not working, however, i plotted the two equations in 3D on Maple and they do intersect so shouldn't there be extrema? Or is the fact that x-y is a plane paralell to the xy-axis mean that all points are extrema?

We never did a problem like this in class, one with no apparent solution, so i'm confused a bit here.

And i just did another problem where i'm coming up with a solution that doesn't satisfy one of the constraints... ugh... what am i doing wrong???

Thanks for the help!
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, you aren't doing anything wrong. Your constraint says (x-y)=2/(x+y). So (x-y) is unbounded from both above and below. There are no extrema.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?