1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Extrema of a multivariable function

1. Jul 24, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that among all parallelograms with perimeter [tex]l[/tex], a square with sides of length [tex]l/4[/tex] has maximum area. Do this using the second partials test, and then using Lagrange multipliers.

2. Relevant equations
    Area of a parallelogram: [tex]A = absin\phi[/tex], where a and b are the lengths of two adjacent sides and [tex]\phi[/tex] is the angle between them.

Second partials test: [tex]D=f_{xx}f_{yy} - f_{xy}^{2}[/tex]

Method of Lagrange multipliers: [tex]\nabla f=\lambda\nabla g[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    To do it using the second partials test, I would have to reduce A to a function of two variables. I know this has to do with expressing [tex]\phi[/tex] as a function of [tex]a[/tex] and [tex]b[/tex]. After this, I'm stuck.

For the Lagrange multipliers method, I can use [tex]A(a,b)[/tex] as the function to be maximized and use [tex]g(a,b)= 2a + 2b - l[/tex] as the constraint equation. However, I'm still stuck on how to reduce [tex]A[/tex] to a function of two variables. Any help?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

Actually you don't really have to take [tex]\phi[/tex] into consideration. Can you show that one particular critical point occurs when a=b? So geometrically that reduces the possibilities to either a square or a rhombus. Since the area function you want to maximise is given by [tex]ab\sin \phi[/tex] and a=b, it's easy to tell that the expression is maxed when [tex]\phi = \frac{\pi}{2}[/tex].
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?