1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Extreme values (Lagrange multipliers)

1. Mar 18, 2010 #1
    determine, if any, the maximum and minimum values of the scalar field f (x, y) = xy subject to the constraint [tex]4x^2{}[/tex]+[tex]9y^2{}[/tex]=36

The attempt at a solution

using Lagrange multipliers, we solve the equations [tex]\nabla[/tex]f=[tex]\lambda[/tex][tex]\nabla[/tex]g ,which can be written as

[tex]f_{x}[/tex]=[tex]\lambda[/tex][tex]g_{x}[/tex]

[tex]f_{y}[/tex]=[tex]\lambda[/tex][tex]g_{y}[/tex]

g(x,y)=36

or as

y=[tex]\lambda[/tex]8x

x=[tex]\lambda[/tex]18y

[tex]4x^2{}[/tex]+[tex]9y^2{}[/tex]=36

it's pretty much all done but can somebody solve this? cause i have some doubts about which are the extreme points

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2010 #2
    I would say your [tex]g(x,y) = 36[/tex] is a little suspicious. If this were the case then the two statements above would be false since [tex]g_x[/tex] and [tex]g_y[/tex] are 0.

4. Mar 18, 2010 #3
    no, in fact g(x,y)=[tex]4x^2{}[/tex]+[tex]9y^2{}[/tex]=36 but well, I wrote it that way because is the way my book does

5. Mar 18, 2010 #4
    We already know that (0,0) is a turning point which has a value f (0,0) = 0.

Leaving that aside for now, solving the set of equations that you listed:
    [tex]y = 8\lambda x[/tex]
    [tex]x = 18\lambda y[/tex]
    [tex]4x^2 + 9y^2 = 36[/tex]
    would yield one or more points.

Then find the value of f(x,y) at each of these points and compare.

6. Mar 18, 2010 #5
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  7. Mar 19, 2010 #6
    Firstly, careless mistake: y is [tex]+/- \frac{2}{3}\sqrt{\frac{18}{5}}[/tex] as you've written on the third line, but in carrying it over into f(x,y), you mixed up the denominator and numerator.

Secondly, [tex]\lambda = +/- \frac{1}{12}[/tex], so there exist two other solutions:
    [tex](x,y) = (\sqrt{\frac{18}{5}}, - \frac{2}{3}\sqrt{\frac{18}{5}})[/tex]
    [tex](x,y) = (- \sqrt{\frac{18}{5}}, \frac{2}{3}\sqrt{\frac{18}{5}})[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook