Extremely difficult double integral.

In summary: Integrating over y first gives you the double integral ( (something with x) times ln(something else with x))
STEMucator
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

[itex]\int_{0}^{8} \int_{y^{1/3}}^{2} \frac{1}{x^4+1} dxdy[/itex]

Homework Equations

Completing the square.

The Attempt at a Solution

This integral is disgusting. It literally took me 4 sheets of paper to do the partial fraction decomposition and then integrate the inner integral giving me an expression involving ln(compicated y expression) + ln(a number) + 1/2arctan(more garbage) + 1/2arctan(even more garbage).

Now I have an even more complicated integral to do and I have no clue how to approach it as I've never integrated arctan and integrating ln is nuts.

Any pointers on this one?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah I know I could easily look it up, but I don't think that's going to help.

The way I see it, your 1/2 arctan(garbage) expressions have two quite similar sorts of garbage, (x√2-1) and (x√2+1). How about using this?

arctan(a) + arctan(b) = arctan( (a+b)/(1-ab) )

That should lead you to arctan( (something with x) / (1 - something with x²) ). Partial fractions and then integrating two expressions like arctan(something) should be possible.

The ln expression I get looks like this:

ln ( (something with x² + something with x) / (something with x² - something with x) )

Try multiplying top and bottom of that fraction by the numerator to simplify the denominator. Maybe that'll help.

A good general rule of thumb is to think about what you are doing before you try to do it.

Bearing that in mind, what are you doing by computing that integral? Answer: integrating the function [itex]f(x)=\frac{1}{x^4+1}[/itex] over some region in the [itex]xy[/itex]-plane. Is the given form of the integral the only way to accomplish that? Is it the best way? What happens if you break the region down into vertical strips instead of horizontal strips and integrate over [itex]y[/itex] first?

gabbagabbahey said:
What happens if you break the region down into vertical strips instead of horizontal strips and integrate over [itex]y[/itex] first?

Unless I'm mistaken, something very nice happens then, and the double integral suddenly becomes

(some number) times ln (some other number)

Very clever. That's a strategy well worth remembering.

gabbagabbahey said:
A good general rule of thumb is to think about what you are doing before you try to do it.

Bearing that in mind, what are you doing by computing that integral? Answer: integrating the function [itex]f(x)=\frac{1}{x^4+1}[/itex] over some region in the [itex]xy[/itex]-plane. Is the given form of the integral the only way to accomplish that? Is it the best way? What happens if you break the region down into vertical strips instead of horizontal strips and integrate over [itex]y[/itex] first?

Yes i completely forgot about changing my limits! Thank you very much, I solved it :).

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a mathematical concept used in calculus to find the volume under a surface in three-dimensional space. It involves integrating a function over a specific region in the x-y plane.

2. How is a double integral different from a single integral?

A single integral is used to find the area under a curve in one-dimensional space, while a double integral is used to find the volume under a surface in three-dimensional space.

3. Why is an extremely difficult double integral challenging?

An extremely difficult double integral can be challenging because it requires a deep understanding of calculus principles and techniques, as well as advanced problem-solving skills. It may involve complex functions, difficult integration methods, and intricate regions of integration.

4. What are some strategies for solving an extremely difficult double integral?

Some strategies for solving an extremely difficult double integral include breaking it down into smaller, more manageable parts, using change of variables or substitution to simplify the integrand, and utilizing properties of symmetry to reduce the number of variables.

5. What are some real-world applications of double integrals?

Double integrals have many real-world applications, such as in physics for calculating the center of mass and moment of inertia of an object, in engineering for calculating work done by a force, and in economics for determining profit and revenue in multi-variable systems.