1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaluating Cartesian integral in polar coordinates

1. Nov 20, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Transform given integral in Cartesian coordinates to one in polar coordinates and evaluate polar integral.

##\int_{0}^3 \int_{0}^x \frac {dydx}{\sqrt(x^2+y^2)}##

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I drew out the region in the ##xy## plane and I know that ##0 \leq \theta \leq \frac{\pi}{4}##.
    For ##r##, I thought that it should be ##3 \leq r \leq 3\sqrt 2##

So my polar integral is ##\int_{0}^ \frac{\pi}{4} \int_{3}^{3\sqrt 2} \frac{1}{\sqrt(r^2)} r drd\theta##.

The answer I get from this integral is ##\frac{3\pi}{4} (\sqrt2 -1)##

But the answer is ##3 \ln(\sqrt2+1)##.

I have no idea how ##ln## appears in the answer.

Where am I wrong?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2016 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Assuming you are working the same problem as appears in your book, I agree with you. If this is the problem --
    ##\int_{0}^3 \int_{0}^x \frac {dydx}{x^2+y^2}##
    that would explain the book's answer.

4. Nov 20, 2016 #3
    Ah, thank you! I did check the question again in the book, and I did not misread it.

5. Nov 20, 2016 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your limits for ##r## are incorrect. Your text's answer is correct for the problem as stated.

6. Nov 20, 2016 #5
    Are both upper and lower ones incorrect? I don't know any other way to find the limits for ##r##. Any hints?

Or since value of ##x## is constant, are the bounds in Cartesian coordinates something like ##3 \leq \sqrt{9+y^2} \leq 3\sqrt2##?

7. Nov 20, 2016 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Both are incorrect. What does the region look like? Put your pencil on the origin and move it in the ##r## direction. What does it hit?

8. Nov 20, 2016 #7
    I honestly do not know. In the ##xy## plane, the region is bounded by the line ##y=x##, the ##x## axis and the line ##x=3##. What does moving it in the ##r## direction mean? If I do so, for ##\theta=0##, I get ##0 \leq r \leq 3##, but for ##\theta=\frac{\pi}{4}##, I get ##0 \leq r \leq 3 \sqrt2##.

I'm confused.

9. Nov 20, 2016 #8

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, at least you are thinking about it. You have noticed that if ##\theta = 0##, ##r## goes from ##0## to ##3## and for ##\theta = \frac \pi 4##, ##r## goes from ##0## to ##3\sqrt 2##. Both observations are correct. So what you have noticed is what ##r## goes to depends on what ##\theta## is. So if you take some in between value of ##\theta## and move ##r## in that direction, don't you hit the line ##x=3##? What is the equation of that in polar coordinates? What is ##r## on that line? It will depend on ##\theta##.

10. Nov 20, 2016 #9
    Ah, I see. Is it ##0 \leq r \leq \frac{3}{cos\theta}##?

11. Nov 20, 2016 #10

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No. Answer the two questions I asked before (now in red). You have about 10 minutes before I hit the sack. [Edit:] I see you corrected it so now it's correct. Write it as ##3\sec\theta## and integrate it.

12. Nov 20, 2016 #11
    Thanks! if it weren't correct, it would be too much pressure for me. 10 minutes! :wink:

Anyway, thanks so much for your time, and good night!

13. Nov 20, 2016 #12

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Apologies for my incorrect conclusion. r indeed does depend on ##\theta##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted