Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Extremely low temperatures at home.

1. Feb 15, 2006 #1

i wonder if it is possible to assemble a homemade "refrigerator" to achieve temperatures lower than -100 C ? Any ideas?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2006 #2
    Sure. Just get some liquid N2.
  4. Feb 15, 2006 #3
    Is it possible to accomplish this without liquid N2 ?
  5. Feb 15, 2006 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hey there cryogenics. Welcome to the board. Just a couple questions:

- How much money are you willing to spend for this?
    - How much refrigeration do you need (ie: in watts)
    - Do you have any experience in welding or vacuum technology?
  6. Feb 15, 2006 #5

1 - don`t worry about the money, anyway we all live in different parts of the world - prices vary.I`m ready to spend.
    2 - hell knows, i just need temperatures fall below - 100 C. No need in super power, though, i need something moderate.
    3 - No but i have people to help me weld, if needed to. And as for vacuum, well if it is of any importance, i`ve got an oil vacuum pump.

Anyway, sounds like you`ve got a plan:)
  7. Feb 15, 2006 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think the best solution is not to make your own device but to use what labs and industry typically uses, a "cryocooler" which generally consist of two parts, a compressor and a "cold head". There are three basic types:
    - Sterling
    - Gifford-McMahon
    - Pulse Tube

You can read about them here:

One of the larger manufacturers is Sumitomo. They have their products on line here:

This gives you the ability to cool something down, but the power is fairly low, so you can't have a lot of heat leak into the box you're refrigerating. These units are generally used within vacuum jacketed containers, so you'd need some kind of container to put it in.

One option would be to purchase a liquid nitrogen dewar, they're fairly cheap at a few thousand dollars. The only thing there is that the dewar must have some kind of port on it to insert the cold head in. Another option would be to make your own if you had the expertise.

I don't know of any easy way of cooling something down except to purchase some liquid nitrogen as already suggested and simply dunk it (or hold it above the liquid if you don't want it that cold). Cryocoolers are the primary way of creating your own refrigeration device that can go down to low temperatures.
  8. Feb 16, 2006 #7
    Q_Goest Thanks! That`s what I was looking for!
  9. Feb 16, 2006 #8

Gold Member

Apparently, forgetting Valentine's Day will do the job.

Trust me.
  10. Feb 16, 2006 #9
    Someone who's username is cryogenics and wonders about how to obtain low temperatures at home makes me wonder. What are you up to cryo?
  11. Feb 19, 2006 #10
    I wonder how cold something like this could get.:surprised

Attached Files:

12. Mar 27, 2006 #11
    I don't know what you're trying to do, but liquid nitrogen is probably cheaper than anything you're trying to do at home. I'm sure I get some slight institutional discount, but I pay about 50 bucks for 60 gallons. I don't know if they have rules against home deliveries. Dry ice will get you close, around -79 C, and is easy to get.
  13. Mar 30, 2006 #12
    Yes cryogenics can you please say what you want to do with the cryogenics' cryogenic refigator?It might help if we know what you want to do with.
    Note:If you want to put living things in suspended animation don't do it unless to risk hurting what your freezing.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?