Extremely low temperatures at home.

• Thread starter Cryogenics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Home
In summary, a person is asking if it's possible to create a homemade "refrigerator" that can reach temperatures lower than -100 C without using liquid nitrogen. They are open to spending money and have some experience with welding and vacuum technology. Another user recommends using a cryocooler, which consists of a compressor and a "cold head", and provides some links to manufacturers. Another user questions the intentions of the original poster and advises against using extreme cold temperatures on living things.
Cryogenics
Hi,

i wonder if it is possible to assemble a homemade "refrigerator" to achieve temperatures lower than -100 C ? Any ideas?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sure. Just get some liquid N2.

inha said:
Sure. Just get some liquid N2.

Is it possible to accomplish this without liquid N2 ?

Hey there cryogenics. Welcome to the board. Just a couple questions:

- How much money are you willing to spend for this?
- How much refrigeration do you need (ie: in watts)
- Do you have any experience in welding or vacuum technology?

Hi,

1 - don`t worry about the money, anyway we all live in different parts of the world - prices vary.I`m ready to spend.
2 - hell knows, i just need temperatures fall below - 100 C. No need in super power, though, i need something moderate.
3 - No but i have people to help me weld, if needed to. And as for vacuum, well if it is of any importance, i`ve got an oil vacuum pump.

Anyway, sounds like you`ve got a plan:)

I think the best solution is not to make your own device but to use what labs and industry typically uses, a "cryocooler" which generally consist of two parts, a compressor and a "cold head". There are three basic types:
- Sterling
- Gifford-McMahon
- Pulse Tube

You can read about them here:
http://wwwifp.fzk.de/ISAS/statusreport/sr03/Cryocoolers.html

One of the larger manufacturers is Sumitomo. They have their products on line here:
http://www.shicryogenics.com/products/index.jssx

This gives you the ability to cool something down, but the power is fairly low, so you can't have a lot of heat leak into the box you're refrigerating. These units are generally used within vacuum jacketed containers, so you'd need some kind of container to put it in.

One option would be to purchase a liquid nitrogen dewar, they're fairly cheap at a few thousand dollars. The only thing there is that the dewar must have some kind of port on it to insert the cold head in. Another option would be to make your own if you had the expertise.

I don't know of any easy way of cooling something down except to purchase some liquid nitrogen as already suggested and simply dunk it (or hold it above the liquid if you don't want it that cold). Cryocoolers are the primary way of creating your own refrigeration device that can go down to low temperatures.

Last edited by a moderator:
Q_Goest Thanks! That`s what I was looking for!

Apparently, forgetting Valentine's Day will do the job.

Trust me.

Someone who's username is cryogenics and wonders about how to obtain low temperatures at home makes me wonder. What are you up to cryo?

I wonder how cold something like this could get.

Attachments

• CryoGyro.gif
    CryoGyro.gif
    9.3 KB · Views: 723
I don't know what you're trying to do, but liquid nitrogen is probably cheaper than anything you're trying to do at home. I'm sure I get some slight institutional discount, but I pay about 50 bucks for 60 gallons. I don't know if they have rules against home deliveries. Dry ice will get you close, around -79 C, and is easy to get.

Averagesupernova said:
Someone who's username is cryogenics and wonders about how to obtain low temperatures at home makes me wonder. What are you up to cryo?
Yes cryogenics can you please say what you want to do with the cryogenics' cryogenic refigator?It might help if we know what you want to do with.
Note:If you want to put living things in suspended animation don't do it unless to risk hurting what your freezing.

1. What are extremely low temperatures?

Extremely low temperatures refer to temperatures below 0 degrees Celsius or 32 degrees Fahrenheit. These temperatures are often associated with freezing conditions and can have a significant impact on the environment and human health.

2. What causes extremely low temperatures at home?

Extremely low temperatures at home can be caused by a variety of factors, including cold weather outside, lack of insulation, faulty heating systems, and air leaks. These factors can lead to a drop in indoor temperature and make it difficult to maintain a comfortable temperature in the home.

3. What are the potential risks of extremely low temperatures at home?

Extremely low temperatures at home can pose several risks, including hypothermia, frostbite, and increased risk of respiratory illness. It can also lead to frozen pipes, which can cause damage to the home's plumbing system.

4. How can I prevent extremely low temperatures at home?

To prevent extremely low temperatures at home, it is important to properly insulate your home, seal any air leaks, and regularly maintain your heating system. It is also important to keep your home at a consistent temperature, even when you are away, to prevent pipes from freezing.

5. What should I do if I experience extremely low temperatures at home?

If you experience extremely low temperatures at home, it is important to take immediate action to prevent any health risks or damage to your home. This may include wearing warm clothing, using space heaters if necessary, and sealing any air leaks. If the temperature drops significantly, it is best to seek shelter in a warmer location until the temperature in your home can be regulated.