Search for specific near infrared transparent materials

In summary,You are looking for a material that is thermally insulating, transparent to near-infrared light, and resistant to deformation. You are open to suggestions, and are looking for a more suitable forum.
defrag
Hello everyone,

I am looking for a material with the following characteristics:

- It must be machinable
- be as thermally insulating as possible, and resistant to a temperature of at least 100°C
- transparent to near-infrared light (~1µm wavelength)
- relatively resistant to deformation, for use in a centrifuge.

I'm open to any suggestions, even if they don't exactly meet the above requirements.
Is there a more suitable forum for this kind of question?

Thanks to all

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

defrag said:
- be as thermally insulating as possible, and resistant to a temperature of at least 100°C
It seems to me that those are contradictory requirements.
You need to specify the minimum transmission and reflection spectra as minimum and maximum bounded graphs.

Likes Bystander
For the uV transmissibility, looks like Polystyrene (PS - melts at 240C) and Polyethylene terephthalate (PET - melts at 260C) are the best candidates.

Making them taut (as a drum head) and multilayered may give you the rigidity and thermal resistance you are looking for.

defrag said:
Hello everyone,

I am looking for a material with the following characteristics:

- It must be machinable
- relatively resistant to deformation, for use in a centrifuge.

I'm open to any suggestions, even if they don't exactly meet the above requirements.
Is there a more suitable forum for this kind of question?

Thanks to all
Are you related to this other new poster or their application?

practicalphysicsnoob said:
TL;DR Summary: I'm working on building panels that reflect heat trying to create sub ambient temperatures. I need to create a cover out of something transparent that allows IR passthrough

Trying to create a version of mass producible radiative cooling panels
At first I want to start off with something able to be created at home relatively cheaply as I dive further in I will start trying to find more durable materials with the same capabilities
In order for the system to work the cover needs to block airflow and use air as the insulator but allow infrared passthrough.

I have seen cling wrap used because it is made out of polyethylene which does a decent job at it and its cheap, the only problem is durability. You can use more layers because it begins to absorb and block the passthrough of more IR.
If anyone has any ideas or suggestions that would be awesome.

My end goal is to create mass producible panels that require no electricity to passively cool, and if scaled big enough could reduce global warming and reduce energy usage across the globe by roughly 10%. Not only would that reduce the green house effect and pollution purely based on usage of fossil fuels, it would also relieve some of the pressure on energy grids across the world especially during summer months with the population getting more dense in big cities. (side note the greenhouse effect is part of the reason more methane is being released from the glaciers that are now melting which in turn is rapidly increasing the rate they melt. The panels I am working on reflect part of the radiation and instead of making the surrounding areas warmer and cooling the target area it gets reflected out into space instead of getting caught in the ozone layer.)

All credit for any of these ideas goes to Tech Ingredients and Nighthawkinlight they have already made videos on how to do this from home my goal is to come up with prototypes create a company and be able to sell them at scale while being cheap enough that almost everyone can use them.
I want to be absolutely transparent I do want to patent the prototype but the only reason I want to patent it is so a huge company doesn't come along and do it first causing artificial inflation and charging to much for the end product.

This can be made relatively cheaply, I do not care for profit margins when a product like this could do a huge part to help our earth. Every dollar I make from this idea will go back into being able to spread it far and wide. All the ingredients in making the panels are non toxic besides the polyethylene which is very little. Also if you want to reach out to me privately or ask any questions you can send an email to me [Personal information redacted by the Mentors]
Link to the original video where I got the idea

Baluncore said:
Welcome to PF.It seems to me that those are contradictory requirements.
You need to specify the minimum transmission and reflection spectra as minimum and maximum bounded graphs.
Hi Baluncore,
Thank you for your response. I'm not sure that I unsterstand what you mean.

.Scott said:
For the uV transmissibility, looks like Polystyrene (PS - melts at 240C) and Polyethylene terephthalate (PET - melts at 260C) are the best candidates.

Making them taut (as a drum head) and multilayered may give you the rigidity and thermal resistance you are looking for.
Thank you for your reply. From what I've found, the glass transition of PET is 67-81°C and that of polystyrene 100°C. Does this mean that the material becomes soft and loses its initial shape?

What do you think of polycarbonate? It can be used up to 120°C and has good infrared transmission. Do you know if it's easy to machine?

berkeman said:
Are you related to this other new poster or their application?
Not at all :), but I'm going to check on it

defrag said:
Thank you for your reply. From what I've found, the glass transition of PET is 67-81°C and that of polystyrene 100°C. Does this mean that the material becomes soft and loses its initial shape?

What do you think of polycarbonate? It can be used up to 120°C and has good infrared transmission. Do you know if it's easy to machine?
Certainly if you had it in a rigid frame and were trying to keep it taut, I would expect it would become less taut when not glassy. But I suggest you experiment.

As far as machining is concerned, are you going to try to machine the transparent surfaces themselves? Wouldn't it be better to by the plastic in sheet form and machine only the frame to hold it. The frame itself shouldn't need to be transparent. Or perhaps I do not have a good picture of what you are trying to do.

.Scott said:
As far as machining is concerned, are you going to try to machine the transparent surfaces themselves? Wouldn't it be better to by the plastic in sheet form and machine only the frame to hold it. The frame itself shouldn't need to be transparent. Or perhaps I do not have a good picture of what you are trying to do.
You're right, it would be simpler to buy sheets to place in a fixed structure.

The fact is, I was looking for a basic material to make this outdoor structure.

I was wondering if I could find a material that would be sufficiently insulating and resistant to the constraints mentioned in my first post, so that it could be used directly as an external structure. I've also think about make two cylinders, a small one and a large one (the small one would go into the large one) and fill the space between the two with air, argon or an insulating gas (or vacuum?).

But that sounds rather complicated to me, and prone to gas leaks.

defrag said:
I've also think about make two cylinders, a small one and a large one (the small one would go into the large one) and fill the space between the two with air, argon or an insulating gas (or vacuum?).
I would stick with air. But you might want to include a desiccant to keep it dry.

1. What is the purpose of searching for specific near infrared transparent materials?

The purpose of this search is to find materials that are capable of transmitting near infrared light, which is invisible to the human eye, for various scientific and technological applications. These materials have the potential to improve imaging techniques, enhance communication systems, and advance solar energy harvesting.

2. How are near infrared transparent materials different from other transparent materials?

Near infrared transparent materials have the unique ability to transmit light in the near infrared region of the electromagnetic spectrum, which ranges from 700 nanometers to 1 millimeter. This is different from other transparent materials, such as glass or plastic, which only transmit visible light.

3. What are some examples of near infrared transparent materials?

Some examples of near infrared transparent materials include silicon, germanium, sapphire, and certain types of plastics and polymers. These materials have been extensively studied and used in various industries for their near infrared transparency.

4. What challenges are involved in the search for specific near infrared transparent materials?

One of the main challenges is finding materials that are not only transparent in the near infrared region, but also have other desirable properties such as durability, flexibility, and low cost. Another challenge is developing methods for producing these materials in large quantities and with high purity levels.

5. How is the search for specific near infrared transparent materials being conducted?

The search for these materials is being conducted through a combination of experimental and computational methods. Scientists are using techniques such as spectroscopy and microscopy to study the properties of different materials, while also using computer simulations to predict the behavior of new materials. Collaboration between researchers in different fields, such as chemistry, physics, and materials science, is also crucial in this search.