1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

F-automorphism group of the field of rational functions

1. Jun 4, 2012 #1
    I've been doing some exercises in introductory Galois theory (self-study hence PF is the only avaliable validator :) ) and a side-result of some of them is surprising to me, hence I would like you to set me straight on this one if I'm wrong.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let [itex]K(x)[/itex] be the field of rational functions with coefficients in the field [itex]K[/itex] of characteristic zero. Then [itex]K(x)[/itex] can be seen as an extension of [itex]K[/itex] by a transcendent indeterminate [itex]x[/itex], and [itex]K(x)/K[/itex] is actually Galois. Let [itex]G = Gal(K(x)/K)[/itex], which is infinite (for example [itex]\phi(f(x)) = f(x+1)[/itex] generates a cyclic subgroup of infinite order) and let [itex]H[/itex] be any infinite subgroup of [itex]G[/itex]. Then the field fixed by [itex]H[/itex] is [itex]K[/itex].

2. Relevant equations
    Here are a couple of results from previous exercises that I've used.

1. If [itex]E \neq K[/itex] is an intermediate field of the extension [itex]K \subset K(x)[/itex], then [itex][K(x):E][/itex] has finite degree.

2. Let [itex]H'[/itex] denote the intermediate field of the extension [itex]K(x)/K[/itex] fixed by automorphisms in the subgroup [itex]H[/itex]. Equivalently, let [itex]E'[/itex] denote the subgroup of [itex]G[/itex] such that all automorphisms in this group fix [itex]E[/itex]. If [itex]H' = E[/itex], then [itex]H \subset E'[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution

Let [itex]H[/itex] be any subgroup of [itex]G = Gal(K(x)/K)[/itex] of infinite order and let [itex]H' = E[/itex], and assume that [itex]E[/itex] is not [itex]K[/itex], hence it is a proper extension of K. Because [itex]K(x)[/itex] is finite-dimensional over [itex]E[/itex] and an E-automorphism of [itex]K(x)[/itex] is determined by its action on the basis of [itex]K(x)[/itex] over [itex]E[/itex], and basis is finite, then there can only be a finite amount of E-automorphisms of [itex]K(x)[/itex]. Hence [itex]|E'|[/itex] is finite. By 2, [itex]H \subset E'[/itex], but the first one was infinite which is a contradiction. Then the assumption that [itex]E[/itex] is not [itex]K[/itex] was wrong, and it would follow that [itex]H' = E = K[/itex].

Could this be correct? The follow-up exercise asked to prove that no infinite subgroup [itex]H[/itex] has the property that [itex]H = H'' = (H')'[/itex] but I've arrived at a slightly stronger result, hence my question.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2012 #2
    Hello, I would like to extend my question to this exercise as well. I used some of my work on this to prove assertion 1) in previous post.

I can see how it is finite, as x (the indeterminate in K(x)) is actually a root of a polynomial in [itex]K(\phi)[/itex], namely [itex](\phi)g(y) - f(y)[/itex]. Hence for sure there exists a minimal polynomial, and by the exercise, I know that it should have degree [itex]max(deg(f), deg(g))[/itex]. But my polynomial has the property that it's degree is the maximum of degrees of f and g, hence it is the minimal polynomial I am looking for. To prove this, I need to prove that it is irreducible.

I will be honest that I have no idea how that can be done. A hint was given to consider reducibility in [itex]K(\phi)[x][/itex], the ring of polynomials and that the linearity of the equation (in [itex]\phi = f/g[/itex]) together with the fact that f,g are coprime is the way to go. But I barely understand the element [itex]\phi[/itex] here.

4. Jun 12, 2012 #3
    One last bump :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook