F:R->R, the fourth derivative of f is continuous for all x

In summary: If x is slightly larger than a, then (x-a)3 is positive. If x is slightly smaller than a, then (x-a)3 is negative.
sdff22
F:R-->R, the fourth derivative of f is continuous for all x...

Homework Statement

Suppose f is a mapping from R to R and that the fourth derivative of f is continuous for every real number. If x is a local maximum of f and f"(x)=0 (the second derivative is zero at x), what must be true of the third derivative at x? Fully justify your answer.

The Attempt at a Solution

my thinking so far is that since the forth derivative is continuous for every real number, it should exists for every real number. If the forth derivative exists, it means that the third derivative is continuous for every real number (since we know that if derivative of f exists at a point x, then f is continuous at that point). so all I know is that the third derivative is continuous at every point including point x.

Physics news on Phys.org

You should know more than that. You haven't used the fact that you are at a local maximum and that f"= 0 there. The Taylor's series for f(x), about x= a, is f(a)+ f'(a)(x-a)+ f"(a)/2 (x-a)2+ (f'''(a)/6) (x-a)3+ higher order terms. If x= a is a local maximum then its first derivative, f'(a), is 0 and you are told that the second derivative, f"(a) is also 0: f(x)= f(a)+ (f'''(a)/6)(x-a)3+ higher order terms. For x sufficiently near a, we can ignore those "higher order terms" in comparison to f(a) and (f'''(a)/6) (x-a)3. Think about what happens if x is slightly larger than a and what happens if x is slightly larger than a.

HallsofIvy said:
You should know more than that. You haven't used the fact that you are at a local maximum and that f"= 0 there. The Taylor's series for f(x), about x= a, is f(a)+ f'(a)(x-a)+ f"(a)/2 (x-a)2+ (f'''(a)/6) (x-a)3+ higher order terms. If x= a is a local maximum then its first derivative, f'(a), is 0 and you are told that the second derivative, f"(a) is also 0: f(x)= f(a)+ (f'''(a)/6)(x-a)3+ higher order terms. For x sufficiently near a, we can ignore those "higher order terms" in comparison to f(a) and (f'''(a)/6) (x-a)3. Think about what happens if x is slightly larger than a and what happens if x is slightly larger than a.

Thank you very much for he help.
So should I consider different cases like:
1. x-->a+ (i.e. x-a>0), then if f(x)>f(a)==>f"'(a)>0
if f(x)<f(a)==>f"'(a)<0

and the same argument for x-->a- (i.e. x-a<0)

but I am confused about this fact that having both first and second derivative equal to zero tells me that when x gets very close to a, then f(x) gets very close or equal to f(a). Knowing this, doesn't mean that f"'(a)=0 using the Taylor expansion of f(x) you have written?

Thanks again,

No, it doesn't. It means that f(x)= f(a)+ f'''(a)/6 (x- a)3+ higher power terms. Putting x= a tells you nothing about f'''(a) because the (x-a)3 term is 0.

Now, if x is slightly larger than a, what is the sign of (x-a)3? What if x is slightly smaller than a?

1. What is the fourth derivative of f?

The fourth derivative of f is denoted as f(4)(x) and represents the rate of change of the third derivative of f with respect to the variable x.

2. What does it mean for the fourth derivative of f to be continuous?

A function is considered continuous if it has no abrupt changes or gaps in its graph. In the case of the fourth derivative of f, this means that the rate of change of the third derivative of f is smooth and consistent for all values of x.

3. Why is the continuity of the fourth derivative of f important?

The continuity of the fourth derivative of f is important because it indicates that the function f is well-behaved and has no abrupt changes in its rate of change. This can make it easier to analyze and understand the behavior of the function.

4. How can you determine if the fourth derivative of f is continuous for a specific function?

To determine if the fourth derivative of f is continuous for a given function, you can take the fourth derivative of f and evaluate it at different values of x. If the value remains consistent and does not have any jumps or breaks, then the fourth derivative is continuous.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the fourth derivative of f being continuous?

Yes, the fourth derivative of f is used in physics to describe the acceleration of an object. It is also used in economics to analyze the rate of change of a function, such as in the case of marginal cost or revenue. Additionally, it can be used in engineering to analyze the stability and behavior of systems.