Factoring 4th degree polynomials.

In summary, the conversation is about factoring the polynomial x4+2x3-2x2-4, with one person asking for help and another providing suggestions. The person who is unsure how to factor the polynomial is considering using long division or synthetic division, but is hesitant due to lack of practice. The other person points out a mistake made during the division process and suggests using the rational root theorem or grouping similar terms to make factoring easier. They also mention a quartic formula, but caution against using it due to its complexity.
cp255
So I needed to factor -4x5-8x4+8x3+4x.
I factored out a -4x and I am left with x4+2x3-2x2-4.

The problem is I am unsure how to factor x4+2x3-2x2-4.
I know how to long divide polynomials but I have not done synthetic division in over 4 years. From what I have seen on the internet it seems like a lot of guess and check.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Easier, it makes sense to group the pair with factor 2 together - you can certainly factor that pair. The remaining two terms have a factorisation that is very like one you should remember - since you say you are out of practice perhaps the only one you'd remember. :wink:

I understand your frustration with factoring 4th degree polynomials. It can be a challenging and time-consuming process, especially without using synthetic division. However, there are some techniques and strategies that can make factoring polynomials easier.

One approach is to look for common factors. In this case, we can see that all the terms have a factor of 2, so we can factor it out to get 2(x4+2x3-2x2-4).

Another technique is to try grouping the terms. We can group the first two terms and the last two terms to get x3(x+2)-2(x+2). Then we can factor out (x+2) to get (x3-2)(x+2).

If these methods do not work, we can also use the rational root theorem to find possible rational roots of the polynomial. By testing these possible roots, we can often find one that works and then use synthetic division to factor the polynomial.

Overall, factoring 4th degree polynomials can be a challenging task, but with practice and the use of different strategies, it can become easier. It is important to remember that there is not always a simple or quick solution, and sometimes a bit of trial and error is necessary. Keep exploring and trying different methods, and you will eventually be able to factor polynomials efficiently.

1. What is a 4th degree polynomial?

A 4th degree polynomial is a polynomial with the highest degree of 4. It is also known as a quartic polynomial.

2. Why is factoring 4th degree polynomials important?

Factoring 4th degree polynomials can help us solve equations and find the roots or solutions to the polynomial. It also helps us simplify complex expressions and make them easier to work with.

3. What is the general form of a 4th degree polynomial?

The general form of a 4th degree polynomial is f(x) = ax4 + bx3 + cx2 + dx +e, where a, b, c, d, and e are constants and a is not equal to 0.

4. How do you factor a 4th degree polynomial?

To factor a 4th degree polynomial, we can use the following steps:
1. Identify any common factors among the terms.
2. Group the terms that have a common factor.
3. Factor out the common factor from each group.
4. Look for any remaining factors and use techniques such as the quadratic formula or grouping to factor them out.
5. Check the factored form by multiplying it out to see if it equals the original polynomial.

5. Can all 4th degree polynomials be factored?

No, not all 4th degree polynomials can be factored. Some polynomials may have complex roots or may not have any rational roots, making it impossible to factor them using rational numbers. In such cases, we can use other methods such as the quadratic formula or the rational root theorem to find the roots of the polynomial.