Complex Numbers: 4th Degree Polynomial

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to solve the equation z^4+z^3+z^2+z+1 = 0, with z being a complex number. The speaker attempted to factorize the equation but realized they needed to solve a third degree polynomial. Another person suggests using the finite geometric series sum to find all the roots. The conversation ends with the realization that the equation can be solved by multiplying it by (1-z).
8daysAweek

Homework Statement

Solve the following equation:

[tex]z^4+z^3+z^2+z+1 = 0[/tex]

z is a complex number.

2. The attempt at a solution
I was trying to factorize it to 1st degree polynomial multiplied by 3rd degree polynomial:
[tex](z+a)(z^3+bz^2+cz+1/a) = 0[/tex]
I discovered that I need to solve 3rd degree polynomial just to do that.
[tex]a^3-a^2+1 = 0[/tex]
This is too much mess for a small homework exercise. I think that there is a technique that I am not aware of.

Thank You.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try multiplying the original equation by z - 1.

The lesson here is that you shouldn't forget what you learned in earlier classes. That polynomial is a geometric series, is it not?

@Hurkyl Very perceptive of you ! :)

Through the use of the finite geometric series sum you can find all the roots !

@Petek it's the same as multiplying by (1-z), you right.

Related to Complex Numbers: 4th Degree Polynomial

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that contain both a real part and an imaginary part. They are written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part. The imaginary unit i is defined as the square root of -1.

2. What is a 4th degree polynomial?

A 4th degree polynomial is a polynomial with the highest power of variable being 4. It can be written in the form ax^4 + bx^3 + cx^2 + dx + e, where a, b, c, d, and e are constants and x is the variable.

3. How do complex numbers relate to 4th degree polynomials?

Complex numbers can be solutions to 4th degree polynomials. This means that when the polynomial is set equal to 0, the values of x that satisfy the equation may be complex numbers.

4. How many complex solutions can a 4th degree polynomial have?

A 4th degree polynomial can have up to 4 complex solutions. This is because the fundamental theorem of algebra states that a polynomial of degree n has n complex solutions.

5. How are complex numbers and polynomials used in real-world applications?

Complex numbers and polynomials have many real-world applications, including in engineering, physics, and computer science. They can be used to model and solve problems involving electrical circuits, vibrations and waves, and signal processing, among others.