Factoring-can't find the right factors

• MHB
  • Thread starter Simonio
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Factors
In summary: Keep at it!In summary, the conversation discusses the process of factorizing the expression \(16x^2-144x+99\). The participants explore different methods, such as using the distributive law and substitution, to find the correct factors of the expression. Eventually, they arrive at the factored form of \((4x-3)(4x-33)\) and determine the correct solutions of \(x=\frac{3}{4}\) or \(x=\frac{33}{4}\). The importance of practice in mastering mathematical concepts is also emphasized.
Simonio
I'm trying to factorize this:

\(16x^2 -144x+99\)

The only factors I can find of ac are: 132,12 which add up to -144 but only if both are negative and we need opposing signs to get the -144. I've used an online factor calculator and can't seem to find anything there! I'm obviously missing something obvious :eek:, so any help welcome!

Whoops, should be 16x squared of course-don't know why it isn't coming out right!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
We want two factors of $16\cdot99=1584$ whose sum is $-144$. Well, we may observe that:

$16\cdot99=(4\cdot3)(4\cdot33)=12\cdot132=1584$

And so we know:

\(\displaystyle (-12)(-132)=1584\)

So, you have found the correct factors...they will add up to -144 and their product will be positive. Can you put this together to get the factored form?

Thanks(Clapping)-so now I can say:

\(16x^2-132x-12x + 99\) Then factorise in two groups:

\(4x(4x-33)(-4x+33)\) then

\((4x-3)(-4x-33)\)

So: \(x = -\frac{-3}{4}\) or \(x = \frac{33}{4}\)

Have I used the best method here?

Simonio said:
Thanks(Clapping)-so now I can say:

\(16x^2-132x-12x + 99\) Then factorise in two groups:

\(4x(4x-33)(-4x+33)\) then

\((4x-3)(-4x-33)\)

So: \(x = -\frac{-3}{4}\) or \(x = \frac{33}{4}\)

Have I used the best method here?

This isn't right. Let's start over:

$16x^2 - 144x + 99 = 16x^2 - 132x - 12x + 99$

$= (4x)(4x) - (4x)(33) - (3)(4x) + 3(33) = 4x(4x - 33) - 3(4x - 33)$

You must apply the distributive law correctly. Can you continue from here?

You may find our tutorial on factoring quadratics useful:

http://mathhelpboards.com/math-notes-49/factoring-quadratics-3396.html

Thanks (i'm trying to teach myself after many years of not doing maths so this help is invaluable):

So \(4x(4x-33)-3(4x-33)

Then: \((4x-3)(4x-33)\)

So: \(x=\frac{3}{4}\) or \(x=\frac{33}{4}\)

Is this now ok? I can see I had been sloppy before-I'm finding it's so easy to make small mistakes. I think I'm going to need a lot of practise!

Simonio said:
Thanks (i'm trying to teach myself after many years of not doing maths so this help is invaluable):

So \(4x(4x-33)-3(4x-33)

Is this now ok? I can see I had been sloppy before-I'm finding it's so easy to make small mistakes. I think I'm going to need a lot of practise!

Yes, that's correct. Another way you could look at it is to let $u=4x$ and you have:

\(\displaystyle u^2-36u+99\)

Now we have the easier task of finding two factors of 99 whose sum is -36, which are -3 and -33:

\(\displaystyle u^2-36u+99=(u-3)(u-33)\)

Then back-substitute for $u$ and write:

\(\displaystyle (4x-3)(4x-33)\)

Simonio said:

So \(4x(4x-33)-3(4x-33)

Practice is good: it's how we make ourselves comfortable with new (or long unused) ideas.

Related to Factoring-can't find the right factors

1. Can you explain the concept of factoring?

Factoring is the process of breaking down a number or expression into smaller factors that, when multiplied together, equal the original number or expression. It is a useful tool in simplifying algebraic expressions and solving equations.

2. Why is it important to find the right factors?

The right factors are important because they allow us to express a number or expression in its simplest form. This is especially useful in algebra, where factoring can help us solve equations and find the roots of polynomial functions.

3. What do you do if you can't find the right factors?

If you can't find the right factors, you can try different methods such as grouping, trial and error, or using the quadratic formula. It may also be helpful to review the fundamental rules of factoring and practice with different examples.

4. Are there any tricks or shortcuts for factoring?

Yes, there are some tricks and shortcuts for factoring certain types of expressions. For example, the difference of squares can be factored as (a+b)(a-b) and the difference of cubes can be factored as (a+b)(a²-ab+b²). However, it is important to understand the fundamental rules of factoring in order to use these shortcuts effectively.

5. How can factoring be applied in real life situations?

Factoring can be applied in various real life situations such as simplifying fractions, finding the most efficient way to divide a cake or distribute resources, and calculating compound interest in financial investments. It is also used in fields such as engineering, computer science, and cryptography.