Simplifying (x+3)1/2 - (x+3)3/2 Expression

In summary, to simplify (x+3)1/2 - (x+3)3/2, you can use the fact that the same term in both the numerator and denominator can be subtracted, resulting in (x+3)1/2 [1 - (x+3)]. Simplifying further, you get (-x-2)√(x+3).
PaperStSoap
Simplify

(x+3)1/2 - (x+3)3/2

i honestly am so lost on this one

how i approached it was

(x+3)1/2 [1 - ((x+3)3/2 / (x+3)1/2)]

but again, i have no idea what I'm doing.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
PaperStSoap said:
Simplify

(x+3)1/2 - (x+3)3/2

i honestly am so lost on this one

how i approached it was

(x+3)1/2 [1 - ((x+3)3/2 / (x+3)1/2)]

but again, i have no idea what I'm doing.

You're doing it correctly.

Now you need to use the fact that \(\displaystyle \frac{x^a}{x^b}=x^{a-b}\). Here you have the same term, (x+3), both the numerator and denominator so you can subtract the powers. What do you get once you do that?

Jameson said:
You're doing it correctly.

Now you need to use the fact that \(\displaystyle \frac{x^a}{x^b}=x^{a-b}\). Here you have the same term, (x+3), both the numerator and denominator so you can subtract the powers. What do you get once you do that?

well 3/2 minus 1/2 equals 1. so wouldn't [(x+3)/(x+3)] = 1?

PaperStSoap said:
well 3/2 minus 1/2 equals 1. so wouldn't [(x+3)/(x+3)] = 1?

Almost. You do get 1, but that's the new power. So you get
\(\displaystyle \frac{(x+3)^{\frac{3}{2}}}{(x+3)^{\frac{1}{2}}}=(x+3)^{\frac{2}{2}}=(x+3)^1=(x+3)\)

so that would come out to

(x+3)^1/2 [1 - (x + 3)]

PaperStSoap said:
so that would come out to

(x+3)^1/2 [1 - (x + 3)]

Exactly. Now just simplify [1-(x+3)] and you're done.

(x+3)^1/2[-x+2] ?

PaperStSoap said:
(x+3)^1/2[-x+2] ?

\(\displaystyle 1-(x+3)=1-x-3=-x-2\) so final answer is

\(\displaystyle (-x-2)\sqrt{x+3}\)

man i can't believe i messed that one up
so final answer is
(x+3)^1/2 (-x-2)

FAQ: Simplifying (x+3)1/2 - (x+3)3/2 Expression

What does "simplifying" mean in this context?

Simplifying refers to the process of reducing an expression to its most basic form by combining like terms, removing parentheses, and using mathematical operations to simplify the expression.

What is the purpose of simplifying (x+3)1/2 - (x+3)3/2 expression?

The purpose of simplifying this expression is to make it easier to understand and work with. Simplifying an expression can also reveal patterns and relationships that may not be immediately apparent.

Can I use the distributive property to simplify this expression?

Yes, the distributive property can be used to simplify this expression. You can distribute the exponent of 1/2 to each term inside the parentheses and then combine like terms.

Can I cancel out the (x+3) terms in this expression?

No, you cannot cancel out the (x+3) terms in this expression since they have different exponents. Instead, you can use the distributive property and combine like terms to simplify the expression.

Is there a specific order to follow when simplifying this expression?

Yes, there is a specific order to follow when simplifying this expression. You should first distribute the exponent of 1/2 to each term inside the parentheses, then combine like terms, and finally use any applicable mathematical operations to simplify the expression further.