Can Rationals Be Factored with Non-Natural Exponents?

• I
  • Thread starter DaTario
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the proposal of extending the principle of uniqueness of factorization to rational numbers by allowing the exponents of prime numbers to be integers rather than just natural numbers. However, it is noted that this method does not work for irrational numbers. The concept of rational and irrational numbers has been known since ancient times and can be found in various mathematical references.
DaTario
Hi All,

Is there any sense in proposing an extension of the principle of the uniqueness of fatorization to rationals by allowing the exponents of the prime numbers to be integers numbers (except 0) and not only natural (except 0)?

For example, ## 3.5 = 2^{-1} \times 7 ##

Best wishes,

DaTario

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What is new about it? Rational numbers (apart from 0) have a unique way to be expressed as fraction of two coprime numbers, that is a well-known result. Those two coprime numbers have a unique factorization each, together they lead to the form you posted.

DaTario said:
Hi All,

Is there any sense in proposing an extension of the principle of the uniqueness of fatorization to rationals by allowing the exponents of the prime numbers to be integers numbers (except 0) and not only natural (except 0)?

For example, ## 3.5 = 2^{-1} \times 7 ##
##3.5 = \frac 7 2 = 7 \times 2^{-1}##
Every rational number ##\frac m n## can be rewritten as ##m \times n^{-1}##. However, when people speak of factoring numbers, all numbers involved are usually integers.

Thank you, mfb, you have put it in a very clear form.

Thank you, Mark44, as well.

So is it correct to say that rational number admit unique fatorization based on prime number raised at integer exponents?

What happens when one attempts to apply this fatorization method to some irrational number?

Do you have, by the way, some reference to indicate? I would like to start a study on this subject.

Thank you again,

DaTario said:
What happens when one attempts to apply this fatorization method to some irrational number?
It does not work.

DaTario said:
Do you have, by the way, some reference to indicate?
We are discussing the definition of rational and irrational numbers. References? Even the old Greeks knew the concepts of rational and irrational numbers. Check the wikipedia articles, they have tons of references.

mfb said:
It does not work.

We are discussing the definition of rational and irrational numbers. References? Even the old Greeks knew the concepts of rational and irrational numbers. Check the wikipedia articles, they have tons of references.
Sorry, mfb, I was kindly asking you to indicate references containing issues concerning the factorization of rationals. I have never seen anything like this in the books of math I have read.

And I was pointing to a website where you can find those references.

mfb said:
Even the old Greeks knew the concepts of rational and irrational numbers. Check the wikipedia articles, they have tons of references.

Thank you, mfb, sincerely. I hope you are not being forced by anyone or by any reason to answer questions you don´t want to answer.

Best Regards,

DaTario

1. What is factorizing rationals?

Factorizing rationals is a process in mathematics where we break down a rational number (a fraction) into its prime factors. This can help simplify the expression and make it easier to work with.

2. How do you factorize a rational number?

To factorize a rational number, we first need to find the prime factors of both the numerator and denominator. Then, we can cancel out any common factors and write the remaining factors as the simplified form of the original rational number.

3. Why is factorizing rationals important?

Factorizing rationals is important because it allows us to simplify complex fractions, making them easier to work with in calculations. It also helps us identify common factors and patterns in rational expressions, which can be useful in solving equations and understanding mathematical concepts.

4. What are some tips for factorizing rationals?

One tip for factorizing rationals is to always start by finding the greatest common factor (GCF) of the numerator and denominator. This can help simplify the expression before looking for any other factors. It is also helpful to know the rules for factoring special cases, such as the difference of squares or the sum/difference of cubes.

5. Can irrational numbers be factorized?

No, irrational numbers cannot be factorized because they cannot be written as a ratio of two integers. Irrational numbers, such as pi or the square root of 2, have an infinite number of non-repeating digits after the decimal point, making it impossible to write them in fraction form.