Failed first Physics midterm; looking for advice.

In summary: And we're still not done. And we're not the only ones. (:Just keep working hard. One thing you'll learn about Uni. is that the tests are almost always insane. You really have to put a lot of effort into get an A. I mean a lot of effort, do so many questions that you get blisters on your fingers.You need to go to your professor's and your TA's office hours.
lilypetals
Hello everyone. -waves- I'm new so...don't kill me or...anything like that, but y'all seem like nice people, what with the devoting-your-time-to-helping-with-homework questions thing. That's super cool of you. (:

So, I have this scenario, and I'm looking for some advice.

I failed my first Physics midterm. I'm a college student at Berkeley, taking Physics 7A, which is simply mechanics and wave motion. I have an okay professor, but the examples he does in class seem so much more simplistic than the problems that appeared on that midterm. The textbook is about the same; everything makes sense, even the examples they map out for you, but suddenly the problems at the end of the chapter and online in the ever-wonderful MasteringPhysics realm are dragons of horrid complexity.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make it through this semester with a pass? Any resources that any of you have used to help you become better at complex problem-solving?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yesterday I divided density by mass to get volume even though I wrote down mass divided by volume. The whole question was based on that (volume), so I pretty much screwed myself over lol

You will get over it soon, I use MasteringChemistry right now and I think I understand you lol. I used webassign last semester, it was better

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make it through this semester with a pass? Any resources that any of you have used to help you become better at complex problem-solving?

Just keep working hard. One thing you'll learn about Uni. is that the tests are almost always insane. You really have to put a lot of effort into get an A. I mean a lot of effort, do so many questions that you get blisters on your fingers.

You need to go to your professor's and your TA's office hours. Go in with the homework or other example problems you want to practice and work with them.

Gather a group of fellow students in the class and work with them. Problem solving is like playing chess- you'll learn much faster if you are playing with an expert.

lilypetals said:
Hello everyone. -waves- I'm new so...don't kill me or...anything like that, but y'all seem like nice people, what with the devoting-your-time-to-helping-with-homework questions thing. That's super cool of you. (:

So, I have this scenario, and I'm looking for some advice.

I failed my first Physics midterm. I'm a college student at Berkeley, taking Physics 7A, which is simply mechanics and wave motion. I have an okay professor, but the examples he does in class seem so much more simplistic than the problems that appeared on that midterm. The textbook is about the same; everything makes sense, even the examples they map out for you, but suddenly the problems at the end of the chapter and online in the ever-wonderful MasteringPhysics realm are dragons of horrid complexity.

Thanks in advance.

My best advice is to buy other textbooks than the one you're using and work through those problems.
It is common place at schools that are competitive (not most state schools... Berkeley is somewhat competitive though) to introduce brand new concepts on tests, because otherwise a majority would receive As in the class (if it was a pure test of understanding a set of material).

Take this into account... most of your classmates have had this course already... and probably at an even higher level than is being taught to you. You have to basically teach yourself past the level for the first semester right away (find a highly ranked book for calc-physics on Amazon and go through that on the side... and go to office hours/etc for HW assistance).

well, it's usual for intro physics class to be difficult..

my only advice is you can not depend only on those examples from professors and textbooks..
do more exercises than required by the course(HW, Quiz, etc.), develop your own understanding...

Thank you all for all the advice! I feel a little less worried now. Since I'm shaking on problem-solving, I picked up the suggested book for the course which is also actually rather highly rated, containing tons of practice problems and in-depth solutions, and I signed up for the study group that meets on Mondays for my class. Thanks again for all your suggestions. (:

Spend a lot of time making sure you understand EVERYTHING in your mastering physics assignments and what-not. I'm taking E&M right now, and my buddy and I spend literally our whole Saturday doing our weekly mastering physics assignment. It's not that we couldn't do it in a few hours, but we beat the thing to death trying every problem from every angle and making sure that we both understand why exactly our method works from both a mathematical and an intuitive standpoint. We both did quite well on the midterm, even though the class average was quite low and my prof is pretty bad at explaining things.

Try to go for the harder questions and spend lots of time on them rather than blasting through tons of simple ones. If you spend time making sure you understand the harder questions, then the simple ones become... Simple.

Search for past exam papers. Google! I tried. Found this after two seconds:

https://tbp.berkeley.edu/examfiles/physics/physics7A-sp05-mt1-zettl-exam.pdf

And, remember, you aren't alone :)

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-california-berkeley/577127-so-i-failed-my-first-physics-midterm.html

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What should I do if I failed my first Physics midterm?

If you failed your first Physics midterm, the first thing you should do is to talk to your professor. They can provide insight into why you failed and give you advice on how to improve for the next exam. They may also offer extra credit opportunities or suggest additional resources to help you understand the material better.

2. How can I improve my grade after failing my first Physics midterm?

The key to improving your grade after failing a midterm is to identify your weaknesses and work on them. Review your notes, attend review sessions, and seek help from your professor or a tutor. Practice solving problems and make sure you understand the fundamental concepts. It's also important to manage your time effectively and stay organized.

3. Is it too late to drop the course after failing the first Physics midterm?

It depends on your school's policies and deadlines. Some schools allow students to drop a course without penalty within a certain timeframe. However, if the deadline has passed, it's important to talk to your academic advisor to discuss your options. They may be able to help you come up with a plan to improve your grade or suggest retaking the course in the future.

4. Should I retake the course if I failed the first Physics midterm?

Retaking the course is a personal decision that depends on your goals and circumstances. If the course is required for your major or if you need to maintain a certain GPA, retaking it may be necessary. However, if you feel that you can improve your grade and understanding of the material without retaking the course, it may be worth trying again.

5. How can I stay motivated after failing the first Physics midterm?

Failing a midterm can be discouraging, but it's important to stay motivated and not give up. Set realistic goals for yourself and break them down into smaller, achievable tasks. Seek support from friends, family, or classmates. Remember that one exam does not define your abilities, and with hard work and dedication, you can improve your grade and understanding of the material.