Fairly complex trig integration

In summary, the integral \int dx/(cosx + cos3x) can be solved by using the trigonometric identities cos(3x) = cos(2x+x) and cos(x) = cos(2x-x). By substituting these identities and simplifying, the integral can be rewritten as \int dx/(cosx + cos3x) = 1/2 [1/(1-t^2)(1-2t^2)]dt, where t = sinx. Further simplification and integration yields the final solution of \frac{1}{4} (-(\frac{1}{2}) cot(\frac{x}{2}) - ln(cos(\frac{x}{2}) - sin(\
hanelliot

Homework Statement

[itex]\int dx/(cosx + cos3x)[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure if I'm doing this right.
[itex]1/cosx + cos3x = 1/2cosx * cos2x = cosx/cosx * 2cosxcos2x = cosx/2cos^2xcosx = (1/2)*(cosx)/[(1-sin^2x)(1-2sin^2x)][/itex]

then we let t = sinx and get [itex]\int dx/(cosx + cos3x) = 1/2 [1/(1-t^2)(1-2t^2)]dt[/itex]

Any comments please..

Physics news on Phys.org
Please use more parentheses.

How did you get from the first expression to the second?
1/(cos(x) + cos(3x)) = 1/(2cos(x)cos(2x))

Mark44 said:
Please use more parentheses.

How did you get from the first expression to the second?
1/(cos(x) + cos(3x)) = 1/(2cos(x)cos(2x))
it was a hint given by a TA.. I plugged in few numbers and the relationship seems to hold?

It may be true, but you can't really prove that it is by merely plugging in a few numbers. In any case, it's not obvious, so you should put in the intervening steps.

[tex]\frac{1}{cosx + cos3x}= \frac{1}{2cosx cos2x}= \frac{cos x}{cosx * 2cosxcos2x} = \frac{cos x}{2cos^2xcosx }= \frac{cosx}{2(1-sin^2x)(1-2sin^2x)}[/tex]

Here's what you posted in the first post, using tex tags.
Show how you get from the first expression to the second.
From the 2nd to the 3rd, you apparently multiplied by cos x /cos x, which is fine.
From the 3rd to the 4th is fine.
From the 4th to the 5th, I think you have an error.

Finally, in your integral, show the step where you make the substitution but before you actually integrate.

Thank you for your reply.. I worked out a new solution, can u see if anything's wrong?
[itex]
\int \frac{dx} {cosx-cos3x} =
\frac{1}{4} (-(\frac{1}{2}) cot(\frac{x}{2}) - ln(cos(\frac{x}{2}) - sin(\frac{x}{2})) + ln(cos(\frac{x}{2}) + sin(\frac{x}{2}) - (\frac{1}{2}) tan(\frac{x}{2})) + C
[/itex]

hanelliot said:
Thank you for your reply.. I worked out a new solution, can u see if anything's wrong?
[itex]
\int \frac{dx} {cosx-cos3x} =
\frac{1}{4} (-(\frac{1}{2}) cot(\frac{x}{2}) - ln(cos(\frac{x}{2}) - sin(\frac{x}{2})) + ln(cos(\frac{x}{2}) + sin(\frac{x}{2}) - (\frac{1}{2}) tan(\frac{x}{2})) + C
[/itex]
Why don't you check it yourself? If your answer is correct, its derivative ought to be your integrand. In my previous post I asked you to show how you got from the first expression to the next in your string of equalities, but you haven't done so.

Mark44 said:
Why don't you check it yourself? If your answer is correct, its derivative ought to be your integrand. In my previous post I asked you to show how you got from the first expression to the next in your string of equalities, but you haven't done so.
using identities:
cos(3x) = cos(2x+x) = cosx cos2x - sin^2x sinx
cos(x) = cos(2x-x) = cosx cos2x + sin^2x sinx

2nd term cancels out and we get 2cosxcos2x at the bottom. I got some help from my TA and solved it, thanks for your help!

hanelliot said:
using identities:
cos(3x) = cos(2x+x) = cosx cos2x - sin^2x sinx
cos(x) = cos(2x-x) = cosx cos2x + sin^2x sinx
I get
cos(3x) = cos(2x+x) = cosx cos2x - sin2x sinx
cos(x) = cos(2x-x) = cosx cos2x + sin2x sinx
So cos(x) - cos(3x) = cosx cos2x + sin2x sinx - cosx cos2x + sin2x sinx = 2sin(2x) sin(x)

That's not the same as what you show below...

hanelliot said:
2nd term cancels out and we get 2cosxcos2x at the bottom. I got some help from my TA and solved it, thanks for your help!

original question is actually cos(x) + cos(3x), not minus.. I made a mistake in post #5

1. What is the definition of "fairly complex" in trigonometric integration?

Fairly complex trigonometric integration refers to integrals that involve multiple trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, tangent, and their inverse functions, as well as algebraic expressions. These integrals usually require multiple steps and techniques to solve, and may involve advanced mathematical concepts such as trigonometric identities and substitutions.

2. What are some common techniques used to solve fairly complex trigonometric integrals?

Some common techniques used to solve fairly complex trigonometric integrals include using trigonometric identities, substitution, integration by parts, and partial fraction decomposition. These techniques help simplify the integral and make it easier to solve.

3. How can I determine which technique to use for a specific fairly complex trigonometric integral?

Choosing the right technique for solving a fairly complex trigonometric integral depends on the form of the integral and the trigonometric functions involved. It is important to first simplify the integral using trigonometric identities and then apply the appropriate technique based on the resulting form.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve fairly complex trigonometric integrals?

While a calculator can be helpful for quickly evaluating simple trigonometric integrals, it is not recommended for solving fairly complex ones. These integrals require a deeper understanding of the concepts and techniques involved, and using a calculator may not provide a complete or accurate solution.

5. Are there any tips or tricks for solving fairly complex trigonometric integrals?

The key to solving fairly complex trigonometric integrals is practice and familiarity with trigonometric identities and techniques. It is also helpful to break down the integral into smaller parts and tackle them one at a time. Additionally, being familiar with common integration patterns and being able to recognize them can also make solving these integrals easier.