Fake and overused weather photos

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of fake and overused weather photos being shared online and the importance of fact-checking and verifying their authenticity. The speakers also mention specific examples of these photos and express frustration at the spread of misinformation.
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
yeah its a real pity when awesome supercell pics like that second pic ( the real over farmland pic) gets photoshopped over the statue of Liberty etc
Through my stormchasing, I know some of the guys that took the original pic like that supercell and the tornado and lightning one
They say ... " what can you do but just laugh"
Mike Hollingshead who took the supercell pic just raises his hands in the air and shrugs ...
there's a number of his pic's that have been often misused all over the net
The one who took the tornado and lightning pic assured us all that there was NO oil rig in his pic! haha

I have seen that image doing the rounds for some years :frown:

I'm not familiar with the first pic of the tornado near a city or the 5th pic of the twin funnels and lightning strikes ... haven't seen those before

Dave

Last edited:

I completely agree! It's frustrating to see so many fake or overused weather photos being shared online. It's important to fact-check and verify the authenticity of these images before sharing them. Not only does it spread misinformation, but it also takes away from the real and impactful weather events happening around the world. Thanks for sharing the article, it's a great reminder to be cautious about what we share on social media.

1. Why are fake weather photos so prevalent on social media?

Fake weather photos are often shared on social media for attention and engagement. People may also share them without fact-checking, leading to their widespread circulation.

2. How can I tell if a weather photo is fake?

Some signs that a weather photo may be fake include poor quality, unusual or extreme weather conditions, and the lack of a credible source or location. It's always best to verify the source and do some research before sharing a weather photo.

3. Are weather photos ever edited or enhanced?

Yes, weather photos are often edited or enhanced for various reasons, such as to improve the quality or highlight certain features. However, when it comes to sharing on social media, it's important to disclose any edits or enhancements to maintain transparency.

4. How can fake weather photos impact the public's perception of weather events?

Fake weather photos can create a false narrative about a weather event, leading to panic or misinformation. They can also downplay the severity of a weather event, causing people to not take necessary precautions.

5. What can be done to combat the spread of fake and overused weather photos?

To combat the spread of fake weather photos, it's important for individuals to fact-check and verify the source before sharing. Social media platforms can also implement measures to flag or remove fake content. Additionally, educating the public on how to spot fake photos can help decrease their circulation.