Falling Film Problem: Velocity Profile Independent of z

  • Thread starter Thread starter Wisc17
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Falling Film
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Wisc17
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


This is not exactly a homework problem. I am trying to review material so that I can tutor it this semester. In the falling film problem, as described in this link: http://www.syvum.com/cgi/online/serve.cgi/eng/fluid/fluid204.html, I am confused why the velocity profile does not depend on z. I understand why there is dependence on the x direction, but do not understand why the fluid is not speeding up as it moves downward toward the Earth due to gravity.

Homework Equations


Final Velocity Profile: vz(x)=ρgδ2cosβ[1-(x/δ)2]/(2μ)

The Attempt at a Solution


My thought that is perhaps since it is a steady state problem, the fluid shouldn't be speeding up over time, because {accumulation} = {in}-{out} but I am really not sure. I can do the calculations, I just don't understand why gravity does not affect the fluid speed.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
At steady state, the gravitational force is exactly balanced by the drag force. At locations higher up, before steady state is established, the film is accelerating. This is like one of those terminal velocity problems for a body falling with air drag present.

chet