Particle problem, velocity and acceleration

In summary, the position of a particle moving along the x-axis is given by the equation x = ct4 - bt8, where x is in meters and t is in seconds. Given numerical values for c and b, the displacement of the particle can be found for a specific time interval, such as 0 to 1.3 seconds. However, to find the velocity and acceleration at specific times within a larger time interval, the first and second derivatives of the function must be taken using calculus. This may be a challenging concept for those who have not covered it in class yet.
tigerlili

Homework Statement

The position of a particle moving along the x-axis depends on the time according to the equation x = ct4 - bt8, where x is in meters and t in seconds. Let c and b have numerical values 2.4 m/s4 and 1.9 m/s8, respectively. From t = 0.0 s to t = 1.3 s, (a) what is the displacement of the particle? Find its velocity at times (b) 1.0 s, (c) 2.0 s, (d) 3.0 s, and (e) 4.0 s. Find its acceleration at (f) 1.0 s, (g) 2.0 s, (h) 3.0 s, and (i) 4.0 s.

Homework Equations

x = ct4 - bt8

v= disp/time

v=vo + at

The Attempt at a Solution

i got part a correct, i know the displacement is -8.64 meters
what I'm really having trouble with.. is the idea that the problem clearly states that the time interval is 0 to 1.3 seconds.. and then it asks you to find velocity and acceleration for up to 4 seconds. how is this done? i know that you can't just do v= disp/time using -8.64 meters/1 second for part b, because it said the answer was wrong. please help?

Physics news on Phys.org
This problem requires using calculus to take the derivative of x.

is there any possible way that you could explain further?

is it just.. that i take the first derivative of the function to find the velocities, and the 2nd derivative to find the acceleration?

tigerlili said:
is it just.. that i take the first derivative of the function to find the velocities, and the 2nd derivative to find the acceleration?

Yes, exactly. Has that been covered in your class yet?

honestly.. no. we've had 3 classes and I've learned absolutely nothing, other than the fact that my teacher knows how to throw a beanie baby up in the air...

thank you very much for your help- i finally got the whole problem!

1. What is a particle problem?

A particle problem refers to a situation in which the motion of an object or particle is being studied and analyzed. It involves understanding the position, velocity, and acceleration of the particle at different points in time.

2. How do you calculate velocity for a particle?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the change in position of the particle by the change in time. This can be represented by the equation v = Δx/Δt, where v is velocity, Δx is change in position, and Δt is change in time.

3. What is the difference between instantaneous velocity and average velocity?

Instantaneous velocity refers to the velocity of a particle at a specific moment in time, while average velocity is the overall velocity of the particle over a period of time. Instantaneous velocity can be found by taking the derivative of the position function, while average velocity is calculated by dividing the total displacement by the total time.

4. How is acceleration related to velocity?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity. This means that acceleration measures how much the velocity of a particle is changing over a period of time. Acceleration can be found by taking the derivative of the velocity function.

5. What is the acceleration due to gravity?

The acceleration due to gravity is a constant value (usually denoted as g) that represents the acceleration of an object due to the force of gravity. On Earth, the average value of g is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s^2). This value can change depending on the location and mass of the object.