Bouncing Ball Problem, velocity vs. time

In summary: The ball has no velocity at t=1.125 and t= 3.375 seconds (you misread the graph on that last figure), but the ball hits the floor at 9m/s, when t=? and ?.
kingneb
This is my first college physics class and I am feeling a little challenged, since it is the start and all. I took physics in high school and am a bit rusty. I appreciate any help.

Homework Statement

The vertical component of the velocity of a bouncing ball is shown in the graph below (graph is very large). The positive Y direction is vertically up. The ball deforms slightly when it is in contact with the ground.

[PLAIN]http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/494/graphz.png

They want for part a: Identify the instances in time where the ball is at maximum height.

Homework Equations

None really for part a. Part b asks you to calculate the average velocity while the ball is in the air. Part c, when it is on the ground. Part d asks for the maximum height above the floor using the area under the graph. So for parts b and c I guess you have to use a = v / t. I will probably need some help with these. I will continue the thread when I finish part a.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am kind of mixed up on where to start for part a. I do know the vector direction is negative where the line slopes are negative, and positive respectively. At this point I am assuming that the ball is falling when the function is below the x-axis and rising when it is above the x axis.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're correct in that the ball is falling when the function is below the x axis

Think about what the gradient of a line at any point on the graph represents, and how this is affecting the velocity.

When the ball is at maximum height, what would the velocity at that point be?

So, maximum height is denoted by when the the function crosses zero?

That's only half correct, its not every time the function crosses zero

So does the ball hitting the floor happen at 1.125 seconds, 3.875 seconds?

Max Height 0 seconds, 2.25 seconds, and 5 seconds?

Correct

kingneb said:
So does the ball hitting the floor happen at 1.125 seconds, 3.875 seconds?
The ball has no velocity at t=1.125 and t= 3.375 seconds (you misread the graph on that last figure), but the ball hits the floor at 9m/s, when t=? and ?

Ahh yes, I was wrong with respect to that, my apologies

I was focusing too much on maximum height, and missed that error

1. What is the Bouncing Ball Problem?

The Bouncing Ball Problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the velocity and position of a ball as it bounces on a surface. It is used to demonstrate the principles of motion and the effects of gravity on objects.

2. How is velocity related to time in the Bouncing Ball Problem?

In the Bouncing Ball Problem, the velocity of the ball changes over time due to the force of gravity acting on it. As the ball falls towards the ground, its velocity increases. When it bounces, its velocity decreases as it moves upward against the force of gravity. This creates a curved line on a velocity vs. time graph.

3. What factors affect the velocity of the ball in the Bouncing Ball Problem?

The velocity of the ball in the Bouncing Ball Problem is affected by several factors, including the initial height from which the ball is dropped, the force of gravity, and the elasticity of the ball and the surface it is bouncing on. These factors can also affect the number of bounces the ball makes and the height it reaches on subsequent bounces.

4. How can the Bouncing Ball Problem be used in real-world applications?

The Bouncing Ball Problem has practical applications in fields such as sports science, engineering, and video game design. It can be used to understand the physics behind bouncing objects, such as basketballs or tennis balls, and to design structures or materials that can withstand repeated impacts.

5. What is the significance of studying the Bouncing Ball Problem?

Studying the Bouncing Ball Problem allows scientists and students to explore the fundamental principles of motion and gravity in a tangible way. It also helps to develop problem-solving skills and critical thinking, as well as providing a basis for understanding more complex physics concepts. Additionally, the Bouncing Ball Problem can be used as a fun and engaging way to introduce physics to students of all ages.