Gravitation Problem, velocity of object on impact

In summary: This doesn't sound correct. The initial position is, according to the numbers you gave, \rm r_{initial} = 8 X 10^7 m = \frac{8 X 10^7 m}{6.37 x 10^6 m} R_E = 12.6 R_E , so there is no way that Uinitial = Ufinal.Maybe I was unclear, here is what I did:\frac{1}{2}mV^{2}_{I} - \frac{GmM}{R_{I}} = \frac{1}{2}mV^{2}_{F} - \frac{GmM}{R_{F}}V^{
rzwhipple

Homework Statement

Object is moving directly toward earth
initial V = 2000 m/s
distance from center of Earth = 8 X 10[tex]^{7}[/tex] m

Determine speed at impact

Homework Equations

g = [tex]\frac{GM}{R^{2}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I am guessing I'll need to integrate to get velocity, but am not sure how to proceed. If I integrate with respect to t, what do I do about the R variable which is also changing?

Physics news on Phys.org
rzwhipple said:

Homework Statement

Object is moving directly toward earth
initial V = 2000 m/s
distance from center of Earth = 8 X 10[tex]^{7}[/tex] m

Determine speed at impact

Homework Equations

g = [tex]\frac{GM}{R^{2}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I am guessing I'll need to integrate to get velocity, but am not sure how to proceed. If I integrate with respect to t, what do I do about the R variable which is also changing?

This problem is probably from a Chapter dealing with potential energy functions, where the integration has already been done, to determine the potential energy function. The gravitational force, between these two objects is a conservative force, so all you'll need is conservation of energy, at an initial (i) and final (f) position. Draw a nice picture of this collision, and you won't make any errors for rinitial and rfinal.

Ahh, thanks this worked nicely, I didn't use the formula for energy since you need both masses, but problem does say to neglect drag so the pot energy is the same initial and final, and mass of the object was in every term so that dropped out. Thanks again!

rzwhipple said:
Ahh, thanks this worked nicely, I didn't use the formula for energy since you need both masses, but problem does say to neglect drag so the pot energy is the same initial and final, and mass of the object was in every term so that dropped out. Thanks again!

This doesn't sound correct. The initial position is, according to the numbers you gave,

[itex]\rm r_{initial} = 8 X 10^7 m = \frac{8 X 10^7 m}{6.37 x 10^6 m} R_E = 12.6 R_E[/itex] , so there is no way that Uinitial = Ufinal.

Maybe I was unclear, here is what I did:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}mV^{2}_{I} - \frac{GmM}{R_{I}} = \frac{1}{2}mV^{2}_{F} - \frac{GmM}{R_{F}}[/tex]

[tex]V^{2}_{I} - \frac{2GM}{R_{I}} = V^{2}_{F} - \frac{2GM}{R_{F}}[/tex]

[tex]V^{2}_{F} =V^{2}_{I} - \frac{2GM}{R_{I}} + \frac{2GM}{R_{F}}[/tex]

[tex]V_{F} = \sqrt{V^{2}_{I} - \frac{2GM}{R_{I}} + \frac{2GM}{R_{F}}}[/tex]

plug and chug, voila--you definitely had me on the right track, however, and I think I forgot to mention we were to neglect drag, so therefore energy is conservative--thanks again

1. What is the formula for calculating the velocity of an object on impact?

The formula for calculating the velocity of an object on impact is v = √(2gh), where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and h is the height from which the object was dropped.

2. How does the mass of the object affect its velocity on impact?

The mass of the object does not directly affect its velocity on impact. However, a heavier object may have a greater kinetic energy due to its larger mass, which can contribute to a higher impact velocity.

3. What factors can affect the velocity of an object on impact?

The velocity of an object on impact can be affected by several factors, such as the height from which the object was dropped, air resistance, and the angle at which the object impacts the surface.

4. Can the velocity of an object on impact be greater than the initial velocity?

Yes, the velocity of an object on impact can be greater than the initial velocity if the object is subjected to a downward force (such as gravity) during its motion. This is because the object gains kinetic energy as it falls, resulting in a higher velocity upon impact.

5. How can the velocity of an object on impact be reduced to minimize damage?

The velocity of an object on impact can be reduced by increasing the distance over which the object decelerates, such as by using airbags or cushioning materials. Additionally, reducing the height from which the object is dropped can also decrease its impact velocity.