Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fantastic future

1. Jan 17, 2008 #1
    Fantastic future!!

I found this video upon stumbling around on the net. It features a vision of the future. The video seems to be made in the 1940/1950ties.

Do anybody have more information on the video? Are there more videos in the same category?

It is remarkably that they actually hit with at least a couple of the prospects: rear view screen in cars, television conferencing(~pc)..

Anyhow, would be interesting to see more in the same category. here is the link:
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7453200794115982496&hl=en

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Video is blocked but that is typical. In the 40s/50s TV was the new invention so eveything in the future would have TVs in it. There are popular mechanics articles from the 20s/30s which show a huge electric motor in each house running everything, because electric motors were the new invention - so the future must be based on them.

Worth thinking about everytime someone tells you how the internet will be on everything in the future.

4. Jan 17, 2008 #3

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

yeah I dunno where this semi-conductor physics is going.

5. Jan 17, 2008 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Too funny! I love the flying ambulance with long legs!!!

6. Jan 17, 2008 #5
    I've got a book from the 60's I think based on a lecture given to NASA and universities back then called "the next billion years of mankind". It is pretty funny. The book says that in the future we might make genetically modified killer whales to mine the oceans.

7. Jan 17, 2008 #6

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thats not a plug for the Cloverfield movie is it? :wink:

8. Jan 17, 2008 #7
    I couldn't get it to work, but might it be "Futurama" from the 60s? It was a model of the future with similar strange things.

9. Jan 18, 2008 #8
    Futurama was an exhibit at the 1964 World's Fair. Actually, the first Futurama was at the 1939 world's fair, but I wasn't around for that. It was the GM exhibit. The Disney exhibit at the 1964 WF was "It's a Small World After All". However, when I saw the link, I too thought it was from that exhibit. Perhaps it was shown there, but it was made in 1958. Here's a link.

The Magic HIghway

10. Jan 18, 2008 #9
    jimmysnyder:

Thanks very much for finding the info on the video! I loved this film. Would be fun seeing more like it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?