Fantastic Future: 1940s Vision of the Future

• Thread starter henxan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Future
In summary, the conversation discusses a video from the 1940s/1950s that predicts the future and features advancements such as rear-view screens in cars and television conferencing. The conversation also mentions a book from the 1960s that predicts genetically modified killer whales and the exhibit "Futurama" from the 1964 World's Fair. The conversation concludes with a link to the video and a thank you for finding information on it. Overall, the conversation is about the fascination and amusement with past predictions of the future.
henxan
Fantastic future!

I found this video upon stumbling around on the net. It features a vision of the future. The video seems to be made in the 1940/1950ties.

Do anybody have more information on the video? Are there more videos in the same category?

It is remarkably that they actually hit with at least a couple of the prospects: rear view screen in cars, television conferencing(~pc)..

Anyhow, would be interesting to see more in the same category. here is the link:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7453200794115982496&hl=en"

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Video is blocked but that is typical. In the 40s/50s TV was the new invention so eveything in the future would have TVs in it. There are popular mechanics articles from the 20s/30s which show a huge electric motor in each house running everything, because electric motors were the new invention - so the future must be based on them.

Worth thinking about everytime someone tells you how the internet will be on everything in the future.

yeah I don't know where this semi-conductor physics is going.

Too funny! I love the flying ambulance with long legs!

I've got a book from the 60's I think based on a lecture given to NASA and universities back then called "the next billion years of mankind". It is pretty funny. The book says that in the future we might make genetically modified killer whales to mine the oceans.

W3pcq said:
I've got a book from the 60's I think based on a lecture given to NASA and universities back then called "the next billion years of mankind". It is pretty funny. The book says that in the future we might make genetically modified killer whales to mine the oceans.

Thats not a plug for the Cloverfield movie is it? :wink:

I couldn't get it to work, but might it be "Futurama" from the 60s? It was a model of the future with similar strange things.

binzing said:
I couldn't get it to work, but might it be "Futurama" from the 60s? It was a model of the future with similar strange things.
Futurama was an exhibit at the 1964 World's Fair. Actually, the first Futurama was at the 1939 world's fair, but I wasn't around for that. It was the GM exhibit. The Disney exhibit at the 1964 WF was "It's a Small World After All". However, when I saw the link, I too thought it was from that exhibit. Perhaps it was shown there, but it was made in 1958. Here's a link.

http://trailfire.com/guide/page/1510066/"

Last edited by a moderator:
jimmysnyder:

Thanks very much for finding the info on the video! I loved this film. Would be fun seeing more like it.

1. What is the "Fantastic Future: 1940s Vision of the Future"?

The "Fantastic Future: 1940s Vision of the Future" refers to a collection of art, literature, and media from the 1940s that depicted a utopian and technologically advanced future world.

2. Why were the 1940s considered a time of optimism for the future?

The 1940s were a time of optimism for the future due to advancements in technology, such as the invention of the atomic bomb and the development of new transportation methods like jet planes. Additionally, World War II had just ended and there was a general sense of progress and a hope for a better future.

3. How did the "Fantastic Future" influence present-day ideas about the future?

The "Fantastic Future" influenced present-day ideas about the future by shaping our expectations and desires for what the future might hold. Many of the concepts and technologies depicted in the 1940s have now become a reality, and the imaginative and optimistic tone of the media from that time period continues to inspire ideas and innovations for the future.

4. What were some common themes in the "Fantastic Future" media from the 1940s?

Some common themes in "Fantastic Future" media from the 1940s include a focus on technological advancements, space exploration, and a utopian society where all human problems have been solved. Other themes include the use of robots, flying cars, and other futuristic transportation methods.

5. How accurate were the predictions of the "Fantastic Future" for the actual future?

While some aspects of the "Fantastic Future" have become a reality, such as advancements in technology and space exploration, many of the predictions have not come to fruition. For example, we do not have flying cars or a utopian society without any problems. However, the overall optimistic and imaginative spirit of the "Fantastic Future" continues to influence and inspire our ideas about the future.

Back