Faster than the speed of light with only a fishing line

In summary, the thought experiment involves two spaceships traveling at 0.500001c in opposite directions and the question of whether attaching a fishing line between them will result in the line moving faster than the speed of light. However, according to special relativity, the relative velocity of the two ships will be less than c and the fishing line's velocity will also be less than c. This means that the line will not move faster than the speed of light as suggested. The concept of an absolute speed is not applicable in this scenario.
jamesbird
Can someone easily explain to me what’s wrong with this thought experiment:
I’m in a spaceship traveling at 0.500001 c . I’ve a long fishing line with knots tied every 186k miles along it’s length (told you it was long). Another spaceship traveling at 0.500001 c in the opposite direction passes me, and at that moment I hook the line onto the other ship’s bumper (fender). The line now leaves the reel and as it passes through my fingers (I’m wearing gloves) I time that the knots are passing through my hand at more than 1 per second. Isn’t the line now moving at >c? If it’s not moving at c+ why not. Not bothering with those strange photon things that physicists come up with willy woolly explanations about, I’m using good old fashioned fishing line, something with (excuse the pun) real physical properties, real length etc.
Ha got you there Einstein – get out of that one.
Confused (or possibly just simple) of St Albans

Physics news on Phys.org
But the addition of velocity will not give a velocity >c, the relative velocity of the two space ships will be less than c and the fishing line will have velocity less than c also. Sorry but you should study special relativity a bit more :-)

jamesbird said:
Can someone easily explain to me what’s wrong with this thought experiment:
I’m in a spaceship traveling at 0.500001 c . I’ve a long fishing line with knots tied every 186k miles along it’s length (told you it was long). Another spaceship traveling at 0.500001 c in the opposite direction passes me, and at that moment I hook the line onto the other ship’s bumper (fender). The line now leaves the reel and as it passes through my fingers (I’m wearing gloves) I time that the knots are passing through my hand at more than 1 per second. Isn’t the line now moving at >c? If it’s not moving at c+ why not. Not bothering with those strange photon things that physicists come up with willy woolly explanations about, I’m using good old fashioned fishing line, something with (excuse the pun) real physical properties, real length etc.
Ha got you there Einstein – get out of that one.
Confused (or possibly just simple) of St Albans

With respect to what are you traveling at 0.500001c? Because you picked 0.500001c for both ships, it makes sense to say "with respect to the other ship", in which case you will have the knots passing you at 0.500001c.

But I don't think you mean that. You are implying that you have an absolute speed, but that won't work. If you pick a third observer, with respect to whom you have a velocity of 0.500001c and with respect to whom the other ship has a velocity of -5.00001c, then the relative speed of that other ship with respect to you is:

w = u - v / ( 1 - v/c . u/c)

w = (0.500001c + 0.500001c) / (1 - (0.500001)(-0.500001)) = 0.800001c

The knots will still hurt as they pass through your fingers though.

cheers,

neopolitan

1. What is the concept of "faster than the speed of light with only a fishing line"?

The concept refers to the hypothetical scenario where a fishing line is used to propel an object faster than the speed of light, which is currently believed to be the maximum speed in the universe.

2. Is it possible for a fishing line to exceed the speed of light?

No, according to our current understanding of physics, it is not possible for any object or force to travel faster than the speed of light.

3. What factors determine the speed of a fishing line?

The speed of a fishing line is determined by various factors such as the length, tension, and weight of the line, as well as the force applied to it by the user.

4. Can a fishing line be used to travel close to the speed of light?

No, even with advanced technologies and materials, it is highly unlikely that a fishing line could be used to travel close to the speed of light. The energy and force required for such high speeds would be immense and beyond the capabilities of a fishing line.

5. How does the speed of light impact our understanding of the universe?

The speed of light is a fundamental constant in the universe and plays a crucial role in our understanding of space and time. It is used in many equations and theories, such as Einstein's theory of relativity, and is essential for our understanding of the laws of physics.