Famous Overweight Physicists and Mathematicians

• Thread starter samalkhaiat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physicists
In summary: I don't know, I don't really follow math that much.In summary, there are no well-known physicists or mathematicians who were overweight during their productive years.
samalkhaiat
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Can you name a well known physicist or mathematician who was (or is) over weight during his/her productive years,i.e., between the age of 23 and 45?
Today a colleague of mine said: there weren't any!
I couldn't think of any!
Do you know any?

regards

sam

Physics news on Phys.org
There's a condensed matter physics professor in my department who is extremely active in research. He has the largest potbelly I've ever seen.

arunma said:
There's a condensed matter physics professor in my department who is extremely active in research. He has the largest potbelly I've ever seen

What is his name? Did he published any well-known work?

regards

sam

john von neumann

arunma said:
There's a condensed matter physics professor in my department who is extremely active in research. He has the largest potbelly I've ever seen.

Maybe his belly is very condensed matter.

Pauli

George Jones said:
Pauli

Pauli got fat just one year befor his death.He was then 57. But he was not fat during his productive life in physics. You could check his photos. Almost the same thing happened to Von Neumann.

regards

sam

Last edited:
That is kind of weird. I used google images for physicist, and yeah, not much in the way of chubby hits. I have Safe Search enabled, though -- don't know if that would make a difference... :rolleyes:

Did finally find one guy with a bit of extra body fat, many pages down the search. James Joule:

http://www.greenjoules.com/UserFiles/Joule_James_sitting.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It makes total sense in my mind. Physics isn't exactly a high-paying job. Only after they were well established did they make enough money to eat every day.

samalkhaiat said:
Pauli got fat just one year befor his death.He was then 57. But he was not fat during his productive life in physics. You could check his photos. Almost the same thing happened to Von Neumann.

regards

sam

I have seen a photo from, I think, the 1930s of a swimsuit attired Pauli, and he was not slim. I'll look it up tomorrow in the library.

What about Veltman? When did he put on his weight?

Solvay, 1911:
800px-1911_Solvay_conference.jpg

Solvay, 1921:
Third_Solvay_Conference%2C_1921.jpg

Solvay, 1927:
solvay.jpg

Shelter Island, 1947:
ShelterIsland01.jpg

Solvay, 1958:APS, "Woodstock of Physics", 1987:
woodstock-meeting-photo1.jpg

George Jones said:
What about Veltman? When did he put on his weight?

I don't know, but I saw one very slim veltman martinus in here

http://photos.aip.org/quickSearch.jsp?group=20&qsearch=martinus [Broken]

sam

In James Watson's 'The Double Helix' you will find a mention of Josia Lederberg, a pioneer molecular biologist who was on track for expanding to fill the Universe.

samalkhaiat said:
arunma said:
What is his name? Did he published any well-known work?

regards

sam

Not sure I should say, he may be reading this. :uhh:

That, and I don't remember how to spell his name. I'll look at the department directory tomorrow and let you know. But no, he isn't a "famous" physicist or anything. Just another one of the active researchers in an average physics department.

Ben Franklin seems a little heavy. Can we say he was a physicist?

Von Nuemann was fat all his life.

John Conway is a great mathematicians, he's a huge guy.

1. Who are some famous overweight physicists and mathematicians?

Some famous overweight physicists and mathematicians include Sir Isaac Newton, Albert Einstein, Stephen Hawking, and Leonhard Euler.

2. Did their weight have any impact on their work or achievements?

There is no evidence to suggest that the weight of these scientists had any impact on their work or achievements. Their contributions to the fields of physics and mathematics are based on their intelligence, knowledge, and dedication.

3. How did these scientists maintain their weight while pursuing such demanding careers?

Each individual's weight is influenced by a variety of factors, including genetics, lifestyle, and diet. It is not known how these specific scientists maintained their weight while pursuing their careers, as this was not a significant aspect of their lives or work.

4. Why is it important to recognize and acknowledge the weight of these scientists?

Recognizing and acknowledging the weight of these scientists is important for promoting diversity and inclusivity in the fields of physics and mathematics. It also serves as a reminder that weight does not determine one's intelligence or ability to make significant contributions to society.

5. Are there any other notable overweight scientists besides those mentioned?

Yes, there are many other notable overweight scientists, including Carl Sagan, Marie Curie, and Galileo Galilei. However, it is important to note that their weight should not be the defining factor of their identity or their accomplishments.