"Fatal" mistake for flat earther

In summary, Mad Mike Hughes wanted to see if the Earth was a sphere or flat. He went up in a rocket, when it failed, he ejected without his parachute and died in the fall.
Klystron said:
"each man's opinion is as good as another and better than most!"
The problem is not that point of view so much as that it has morphed into "each man's FACTS are as good as another and better than most" and a lot of people can't tell the difference.

• Informative
Likes hutchphd, Klystron and fresh_42
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
DaveC426913 said:
Hey - I don't take credit - I stole it from Carl Sagan. :wink:
But Aristotle didn't say it. Sagan didn't say that he did and even if Aristotle had said what Sagan didn't say he said, arguing against it because it is something Aristotle said is irrelevant.

Argument from authority twice removed?

Likes diogenesNY
I say an orange doesn't fall at all in water. Not sure about a watermelon, but I think it does fall.

fresh_42 said:
I say an orange doesn't fall at all in water. Not sure about a watermelon, but I think it does fall.
Video says "it floats".

jack action said:
Most of the time, they cannot follow (or even access) the data. In such a case, denying is the easiest (only?) option if you don't want to follow blindly.
They could admit they don't know rather than deny. It's quite different to say one is not convinced the Earth is round than to assert the Earth is flat.

Likes hutchphd, Ibix, Klystron and 1 other person
jbriggs444 said:
Watermelons do fall faster than oranges. Do not argue with caricatures of what Aristotle held true.
Could you clarify this some? By what mechanism do they fall faster and was that explained by Aristotle?

I don't see what is controversial in what Dave said.

OCR said:
Lol, this *thread was 30 posts long. . . now it's 31. . 😞

and climbing. without any details on the steam rocket. that's what I'd like more details on.

russ_watters said:
Could you clarify this some? By what mechanism do they fall faster and was that explained by Aristotle?

I don't see what is controversial in what Dave said.
Terminal velocity. I'd expect the air resistance to scale as the area and the down force to scale with the volume [for comparable densities]. I doubt that Aristotle ever actually talked about oranges and watermelons.

jbriggs444 said:
Terminal velocity. I'd expect the air resistance to scale as the area and the down force to scale with the volume [for comparable densities]. I doubt that Aristotle ever actually talked about oranges and watermelons.
My understanding was that terminal velocity aside(I doubt he knew of it), Aristotle believed objects fell at a rate proportional to weight. I don't recall hearing a connection between Aristotle and fruit either, except with regard to Tycho Brahe, who is said to have dropped different sized fruit at dinner parties to prove Aristotle wrong.

Last edited:
Just think how many free flu shots could have been given with what money he and his backers invested in trying to prove the Earth is flat.

Do you really think that the majority of flat earthers are pro-vaccination? As they most likely are not, would they care?

Regarding the video of the watermelon -- I don't think video would be an accepted source. . . Did you see it float with your own eyes?

EL

celvet said:
Just think how many free flu shots could have been given with what money he and his backers invested in trying to prove the Earth is flat.
One thing about free flu shots is that they are literally free. Insurance pays for them. The insurance company is [I strongly suspect] willing to do so in part because of the savings for not having to pay for flu cases. The net cost is less than zero. The societal net cost is far less than zero.

jbriggs444 said:
One thing about free flu shots is that they are literally free. Insurance pays for them.
And your insurance is free? Mine sure isn't

jbriggs444 said:
If we're going to beat this to death, then let's clarify a few things:

1. I paraphrased Carl Sagan. He mentioned the watermelon and orange discrepancy in one of the Cosmos eps. I acknowledged this in post 35.
  2. I did not say Aristotle said anything about watermelons or oranges or how fast they fall. Those are two separate thoughts in two separate sentences - and those two separate sentence have different subjects - one "Aristotle", the other: an ambiguous - yet plural - "they".
  3. I did not simply say "they thought watermelons fall faster than oranges" (which may or may not be true, but is a red herring); what I said was "they thought watermelons fall 20x faster than oranges". (which they don't).
My post 29 stands.o0)

Last edited:
phinds said:
And your insurance is free? Mine sure isn't
You are right, of course.

I was trying to point out that the incremental cost of the flu shot is zero for you and likely negative for the insurance company. In a rational society (*cough* *cough*), free vaccinations for everyone would be an obvious no brainer.

Likes phinds
jbriggs444 said:
One thing about free flu shots is that they are literally free. Insurance pays for them. The insurance company is [I strongly suspect] willing to do so in part because of the savings for not having to pay for flu cases. The net cost is less than zero. The societal net cost is far less than zero.
Point well made.
But there is always the issue of working capital and somehow (I should probably have read more Karl Marx) liquid funds never seems available for such endeavors. Of course this begs the question where in this process it actually seems a zero sum game when in the long term it surely and manifestly is not.

Likes jbriggs444
jbriggs444 said:
You are right, of course.

I was trying to point out that the incremental cost of the flu shot is zero for you and likely negative for the insurance company. In a rational society (*cough* *cough*), free vaccinations for everyone would be an obvious no brainer.
I agree.

jbriggs444 said:
I was trying to point out that the incremental cost of the flu shot is zero for you and likely negative for the insurance company.
I'm sure the costs for the alternative are some powers of ten higher for the insurance company!

As to SARS-2cov again. I've seen a doctor today who said that people must look at the label "partially anti viral" if they buy disinfectants, and added that those based on ethanol are best. Given the fact that the virus replicates on oral mucosa, gargling with alcohol is back on the table, isn't it? It won't cure an infection but reduce the reproduction rate, one might think. Why isn't this used e.g. for common flue, which is related to SARS-2cov?

Likes Klystron
fresh_42 said:
I'm sure the costs for the alternative are some powers of ten higher for the insurance company!

As to SARS-2cov again. I've seen a doctor today who said that people must look at the label "partially anti viral" if they buy disinfectants, and added that those based on ethanol are best. Given the fact that the virus replicates on oral mucosa, gargling with alcohol is back on the table, isn't it? It won't cure an infection but reduce the reproduction rate, one might think. Why isn't this used e.g. for common flue, which is related to SARS-2cov?
I can provide anecdotal information based on US history. Until recently, inexpensive ethanol was sold alongside isopropyl alcohol in drug stores and the health section of grocery stores. Ethyl alcohol was also a common ingredient in mouthwashes. I have not found ethyl alcohol for sale for medical use in over twenty years except in expensive hand wipes. Mouthwashes advertise as 'alcohol free'.

I keep a small bottle of cheap vodka for use during colds; still an expense due to taxes on drinkable alcohol. At this point I must state I rarely imbibe 'spirits'. Enjoy a glass of wine or beer with meals.

Federal alcohol prohibition ended officially in 1933 in the USA but prohibitive attitudes persist.

Likes fresh_42
Klystron said:
At this point I must state I rarely imbibe 'spirits'. Enjoy a glass of wine or beer with meals.
Me, too. But it is indeed a cultural thing and here in Europe we are quite proud of good Scottish Whiskeys, excellent fruit brandies, and the Russians have even a few good Vodkas. A shot to a welcome, after lunch, or at celebrations had been the normal in my grandfather's generation.

Another interesting question would be, whether onions and garlic are helpful. I know they are antiseptic and work well against inflammations (to some extent). But are they - the sulfur compounds - antiviral, at least a bit?

DaveC426913 said:
Really? I have not read anything about a personal parachute. I assumed he rode the rocket down. It gives me a tiny amount of comfort to think that he did not die trapped falling head first in that tin can. That would have been awful.
Yeah. Some rumours have it that he wasn't really a Flat Earther but a rocket enthusiast. He simply used the Flat-Earthers' money to build his rocket.

His rocket's parachute separated at lift off and stayed with the launch site. His entire flight was sans parachute.

Likes russ_watters
Miles Behind said:
His rocket's parachute separated at lift off and stayed with the launch site. His entire flight was sans parachute.
Yes.

But someone speculated about a personal parachute i .e. strapped to him.

The entire flight was only about 19 seconds. As a designer with previous flight experience he probably knew there wouldn't be enough time to properly eject with a required safety margin. If he took 10 seconds to peak, and 5 seconds to realize something was wrong, he would be dead even if he could release the canopy and climb out. Maybe he knew that and depended upon his main chute?

Miles Behind said:
The entire flight was only about 19 seconds.
I had no idea it was that short.