Favorite books to read on subjects ranging from Astronomy

In summary, the conversation revolved around discussing favorite books to read on various scientific topics such as astronomy, physics, and hard sci-fi. Some recommended titles included The Elegant Universe and The Fabric of the Cosmos by Brian Greene, Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking, and Bang by Simon Singh. Other genres, like philosophy and literary classics, were also mentioned. The conversation also touched on the writing style of certain authors and the accessibility of books through libraries.

For classics I suggest H.G. Wells and Alexdre Dumas. If you like short stories check out a more complete selection of Edgar Allen Poe. He was a major influence in short story writing and is credited as writing the first dectective story ('The Purloined Letter' I think). Unless you're already familiar with his work most people don't realize that he didn't just write 'goth' material. He also wrote satire, dark comedy, adventure, and even a scifi spoof called 'The Balloon Hoax' making fun of the authors and dupes of the space travel hoaxs of the time.

Astronomy news on Phys.org

If you want a very complete understanding of the events leading up to the formation of the Big Bang theory, check out "Big Bang" by Simon Singh. Learned a whole lot from that book.

Another favorite that I've been meaning to re-read is "The Secret Pulse of Time" by Stefan Klein. Very insightful.

stevebd1 said:
In Search of Schrodinger's Cat - John Gribbin
In Search of Superstrings - John Gribbin

I have one book by John Gribbin that I use quite often. Almost on a daily basis. 'Q Is for Quantum: An Encyclopedia of Particle Physics'. 560 pages of nothing but hard info, definitions, great Physicists and what they did.

IMO, a necessity to any book collection.