FBD of an aerogenerator (Windmill)

In summary, the problem at hand involves finding the reaction force for an aerogenerator, with a given torque and force transmitted by the gear. The attempt at a solution involves drawing a free body diagram, but there is uncertainty about whether a moment reaction or additional force is needed. Upon closer inspection of the photo, it appears that there may be two bearings supporting the shaft, which could affect the solution. It is also noted that torque should be expressed in Newton-metres.
Andres Padilla

Homework Statement

Good afternoon, I hope someone could help me with this problem, it is killing my head. I have an aerogenerator, I already find the torque excerted by the air (75.8N) and the force transmitted by the gear (1010.6N). The problem comes when I try to draw the free body diagram to find the reaction force (I uploaded the real picture of the aerogenerator so that you can see how it is supported. Also I uploaded my attemp of solution.
I think it is only supported by one support (Point C).

Homework Equations

Tnet=0
Fnet= 0

The Attempt at a Solution

Since I only have the downward force (1010.6N), the reaction in C will be 1010.6N.
When I draw the flector diagram, it seems that I am forgetting a force or moment in somewhere. I am currently thinkink that I must include a moment reaction in the support C. Or maybe, I must add a force reaction just in the propeller (I meant, maybe I have to add a unknown force in point A)

What do you think it is the problem? Because the diagram flector must close.note: I am only making the FBD of the shaft 1

Attachments

• 33f383a1-f42b-4241-a830-b945d1171a28.jpg
    33f383a1-f42b-4241-a830-b945d1171a28.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 434
  • WhatsApp Image 2018-07-05 at 1.38.02 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2018-07-05 at 1.38.02 PM.jpeg
    21.1 KB · Views: 474
Physics news on Phys.org
Andres Padilla said:
What do you think it is the problem?
As the diagram is drawn, with only support at C, there is a net z torque. It would be more usual to have supports each side of B, and close to it.

Looking at the photo (in the area that corresponds to point C on the drawing) there is a tube with the shaft in it. Are there two bearings one each end of the tube?

Torque should be expressed in Newton-metres.

1. What is an aerogenerator (windmill)?

An aerogenerator, also known as a windmill, is a device that converts the kinetic energy of wind into mechanical energy, which can then be used to generate electricity or perform other tasks such as pumping water.

2. How does an aerogenerator work?

An aerogenerator works by using the force of wind to rotate blades attached to a rotor. The rotor then spins a generator, which produces electricity. This process is known as wind energy conversion.

3. What is the FBD (free body diagram) of an aerogenerator?

The FBD of an aerogenerator is a graphical representation of all the forces acting on the windmill. These forces include the weight of the blades, the tension in the blades, and the aerodynamic forces from the wind.

4. Why is the FBD important for understanding the performance of an aerogenerator?

The FBD allows us to analyze the forces acting on the windmill and determine how they affect its performance. By understanding these forces, we can make design improvements and optimize the efficiency of the aerogenerator.

5. What are some common challenges with the FBD of an aerogenerator?

One common challenge is accurately representing the complex aerodynamic forces acting on the blades. Another challenge is accounting for external factors such as gusts of wind or changes in wind direction. Additionally, the FBD may need to be adjusted for different wind speeds and conditions.