Force equations: Force on ground by angled supports

In summary: Your methodology is correct. I didn't check your algebra. If you want to do that, just substitute your results into the two force balance equations and see if the equations are satisfied.
rihitz

Homework Statement

14513699_1123621714339842_1207432723_o.jpg
[/B]
P=60kN
angle alpha = 45 degrees
angle beta = 20 degrees

The task is to calculate the force on the base A and C, and to draw vectors that represent those forces.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I did similar examples at the class, but when I had to do this one on the test, I just could not get it done.

If I could get the balanced equations down correctly, I would manage to do the rest. (balanced force equations on x and y axis)

Sorry if there are wrong terms used, I am not a native speaker. Ill try to explain if there is anything unclear.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you tried so far?

I'm no physicist, but I would think that some there might exist some r, such that r*(sin 20 + sin 45 ) = 60. This might help you balance out the y direction.

RUber said:
What have you tried so far?

I'm no physicist, but I would think that some there might exist some r, such that r*(sin 20 + sin 45 ) = 60. This might help you balance out the y direction.
Well the R should be right above the P in that case, which cancels the P itself. But that didnt help me out. Or I am drawing something incorectly

I was thinking that r would be a scalar...rsin(20) is the y component of the vector acting at point C, r sin 45 would be the y component of the vector acting at point A.

Or perhaps that is too simple. Let's take another look at this...
You have two force vectors W and V, each one has magnitude |W| and |V|, respectively.
You want to find those magnitudes such that the following equations are satisfied:
## |W| \sin 45 + |V| \sin 20 = 60##
##|W| \cos 45 = |V| \cos 20##
Does that seem more reasonable?

1475086289183.jpg

I am a bit confused.

Is this equation for the projection of all forces on y-axis wrong?

I also don't get why on the second equation both magnitudes have to be equal? Id say they won't be equal, since the angles are different

If F and G are the compression forces in rods AB and BC, what are the components of these forces in the x- and y directions?

Chestermiller said:
If F and G are the compression forces in rods AB and BC, what are the components of these forces in the x- and y directions?
In the picture F and G is Fw and Fv. Is that right? In that case components are. P/sin45 and P/sin20 for the y axis. And P*cos45 and P*cos20 for the x axis. Atleast if I got it right.

rihitz said:
In the picture F and G is Fw and Fv. Is that right? In that case components are. P/sin45 and P/sin20 for the y axis. And P*cos45 and P*cos20 for the x axis. Atleast if I got it right.
You didn't get it right.

Step 1 - Forget about P.

Step 2 - From the trigonometry, what are the components of F and G in terms of F, G, and the angles.

Chestermiller said:
You didn't get it right.

Step 1 - Forget about P.

Step 2 - From the trigonometry, what are the components of F and G in terms of F, G, and the angles.
1475088641021.jpg

Like this?

Yes. Very nice.

The signs on the G components should be - in the x direction and + in the y direction. Now, using the upper junction point as your free body, do a force balance in the x direction and a force balance in the y direction on the junction point. What do you get?

Chestermiller said:
Yes. Very nice.

The signs on the G components should be - in the x direction and + in the y direction. Now, using the upper junction point as your free body, do a force balance in the x direction and a force balance in the y direction on the junction point. What do you get?
I hope I understood correctly what you asked due to the language barier.

But I guess this is what you meant:
1475089658584.jpg

rihitz said:
I hope I understood correctly what you asked due to the language barier.

But I guess this is what you meant:
View attachment 106625
Excellent. Now solve for F and G.

Also, now compare with Ruber's post #5.

Chestermiller said:
Excellent. Now solve for F and G.

Also, now compare with Ruber's post #5.
Is this correct?
1475090812690.jpg

Your methodology is correct. I didn't check your algebra. If you want to do that, just substitute your results into the two force balance equations and see if the equations are satisfied.

Chestermiller said:
Your methodology is correct. I didn't check your algebra. If you want to do that, just substitute your results into the two force balance equations and see if the equations are satisfied.
Great! Thanks! To both of you.
So my mistake was that I tried to make components of F and G from P? While I actually had to make them from the F and G itself.

Likes Chestermiller
Chestermiller said:
Im sorry. Could you please tell me where I am wrong again? I am using the same methodology, but I have a feeling its incorrect, cause I can't find the second force momentum equation.

The A, Ax, Ay, C , Cy and Cx is added by me. Everything else was given.

Why am I getting a negative Cy, when it should be positive?

rihitz said:
Im sorry. Could you please tell me where I am wrong again? I am using the same methodology, but I have a feeling its incorrect, cause I can't find the second force momentum equation.

The A, Ax, Ay, C , Cy and Cx is added by me. Everything else was given.

I do not understand the connection between this post and the rest of this thread. What are Ax etc.?

haruspex said:
I do not understand the connection between this post and the rest of this thread. What are Ax etc.?
Oh sorry.. the image was not uploaded.
Here:
1475148044420.jpg

rihitz said:
Oh sorry.. the image was not uploaded.
Here:
View attachment 106647
Please start a new thread for this new problem.

1. What is a force equation?

A force equation is a mathematical representation of the relationship between forces acting on an object. It involves the use of equations and laws of physics to calculate the magnitude and direction of forces.

2. How is force calculated in an angled support system?

Force can be calculated in an angled support system using trigonometry. The force exerted by the angled support on the ground can be found by using the cosine function to determine the horizontal component of the force and the sine function to determine the vertical component.

3. What factors influence the force on the ground in an angled support system?

The force on the ground in an angled support system is influenced by the angle of the support, the weight of the object being supported, and the surface area of the object in contact with the ground. The force also depends on the strength and stability of the support itself.

4. How does the force on the ground change if the angle of the support is increased?

If the angle of the support is increased, the force on the ground will also increase. This is because the vertical component of the force will become larger, resulting in a greater force being exerted on the ground.

5. Can force equations be applied to real-life scenarios?

Yes, force equations can be applied to real-life scenarios such as engineering, construction, and sports. They are used to determine the strength and stability of structures and to optimize performance in sports activities.