Maximum theoretical and experimental stress in T-beam.

In summary, the conversation is about an experiment involving strain gauges on a T-beam. The steps include taking dimensions of the beam and loading conditions, ensuring proper alignment and applying a preload, taking zero readings and gradually increasing the load while noting the readings. The data is then used to plot graphs and calculate the average strains and maximum theoretical stress using the equation ##\sigma = \frac{My}{I}##. The conversation also discusses finding the location of the neutral axis and comparing it to the theoretical value, as well as calculating the maximum experimental stress.
SherlockOhms

Homework Statement

1. Take dimensions of the beam (B, D, web and flange thickness, L) – T- cross section
2. Take the beam span geometry and material properties from the instrument
3. Ensure the beam and load cell are properly aligned and apply a positive (downward) preload to the beam of 100N. Zero the load cell using the control.
4. Take zero readings for all 9 gauges.
5. Increase load to 100N and take note of the readings. Repeat procedure in 100N increments to 500N
6. Gradually release the load and preload and correct strain reading values
7. Convert the load to a bending moment
8. Plot a graph of strain against bending moment for all 9 gauges (on one graph)
9. Calculate the average strains from the pairs of gauges, where applicable
10. Plot a graph of strain against gauge position using T beam cross section
11. Locate experimental neutral axis and compare with theoretical
12. Calculate and compare maximum experimental and theoretical stress

Homework Equations

##\sigma = \frac{My}{I}##

The Attempt at a Solution

So, this was an experiment in which there were strain gauges set up along a T-beam and we were asked to measure the strain at various different points whilst applying different loads. Could someone tell me how I go about calculating the maximum theoretical stress? Is it by the equation: $$\sigma = \frac{My}{I}$$ where M is the moment about the neutral axis, y is the displacement (in this case it'll be the maximum distance allowable from the neutral axis) and I is the second moment of area? I have absolutely no clue how to calculate the max experimental stress. Any hints/tips?
Also, I'll attach a picture of the T-beam (a miniature version with the dimensions).
The flange and web width are 6.4.
The length is shown in the diagram on the left.

Attachments

• Beam Dimension (BEAM EXP).jpg
    Beam Dimension (BEAM EXP).jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 1,914
Physics news on Phys.org
From your graph you would get the maximum strain which would correspond to the maximum stressed area.

For the theoretical max stress, you would need to calculate I for the T section and find the location of the neutral axis (remember how to find centroids?). From the loading conditions, you would also need to find the maximum bending moment and where it occurs.

So, is your first part for the max experimental stress? Like, I find the max stressed area and then divide the maximum load by this? I'm not sure if I follow.

Well, the loads act at along the beams length, 350 mm from the ends. So, the bending moment will be -W/2 x 0.35? I've already calculated ##y_{theoretical}## and ##I## for the T-section. So, would I just sub in, the maximum distance from ##y_{theoretical}##, ##I## and -W/2 x .35 into my equation for bending stress?

1. What is the difference between maximum theoretical and experimental stress in a T-beam?

The maximum theoretical stress in a T-beam is calculated using mathematical equations and assumptions about the beam's geometry and material properties. On the other hand, the maximum experimental stress is obtained through physical testing of the beam under different loads. The two values may differ due to factors such as imperfections in the beam's shape or material behavior.

2. How is the maximum theoretical stress calculated in a T-beam?

The maximum theoretical stress in a T-beam is calculated using the flexure formula, which takes into account the beam's geometry, applied load, and material properties. It is also affected by factors such as the beam's section modulus and the distance between the neutral axis and the extreme fiber.

3. What factors affect the maximum experimental stress in a T-beam?

The maximum experimental stress in a T-beam is affected by various factors such as the quality of the beam's material, the accuracy and precision of the testing equipment, and the loading conditions. It can also be influenced by external factors such as temperature and humidity.

4. How do the maximum theoretical and experimental stresses compare in a T-beam?

In ideal conditions, the maximum theoretical and experimental stresses in a T-beam should be similar. However, due to the aforementioned factors, there may be some discrepancies between the two values. Generally, the maximum experimental stress is considered to be a more accurate representation of the beam's behavior under load.

5. How can the maximum theoretical and experimental stresses be used in the design of T-beams?

The maximum theoretical and experimental stresses can be used in the design of T-beams to ensure that the beam can withstand the expected loads without failure. The maximum theoretical stress is typically used as a starting point in the design process, while the maximum experimental stress can be used to validate and refine the design. Engineers also use a safety factor to ensure that the beam can withstand unexpected or dynamic loads.