Fed up with Visio - Modify things a bit and the whole diagram breaks

In summary, the speaker is frustrated with using Visio to edit a UML sequence diagram due to issues with the activation bars, message arrows, and relationships becoming a mess when making adjustments. They inquire about adjusting settings to avoid this problem and the other person suggests using the "Group" option or trying a different program, such as iGrafx FlowCharter.
Deathfish
I have been using Visio for a few days now and I'm frustrated because I can't edit my UML sequence diagram a bit without the whole thing falling apart.

Say I have it already nicely done and I want to add an alt box. When I shift the whole thing down, some of the activation bars and message arrows are already anchored. So the whole diagram becomes a mess. I can't select a whole group of items and move them because this will screw up the relationships, anchoring, connectors within them.

What settings do I adjust to avoid this from happening?

Technology news on Phys.org
Have you tried the "Group" options? I feel your pain!

I've done a lot of diagrams using Visio, but nothing with UML diagrams. If you have a collection of geometric objects with connectors between them plus text, callouts, etc., make the whole thing one group. Then when you move it, everything moves as a unit.

As you seem to have just started, maybe you could also consider some more decent program.
On windows, I like iGrafx FlowCharter for producing all kind of flowcharts.

I understand your frustration with Visio. It can be difficult to make changes to a diagram without disrupting the entire layout. However, there are a few settings you can adjust to avoid this issue.

First, I would recommend using the "Lock" feature to prevent certain elements from moving when you make changes to the diagram. This will allow you to shift the alt box without affecting the anchored elements.

You can also adjust the "Snap and Glue" settings to control how elements are connected and anchored to each other. By adjusting the snap distance and turning off automatic connection points, you can have more control over the placement of elements in your diagram.

Additionally, you may want to consider using the "Layers" feature in Visio. This allows you to group and lock certain elements together, making it easier to move them as a whole without disrupting relationships.

Lastly, I would recommend exploring different layout options in Visio, such as "Auto Align" and "Auto Space," which can help to maintain the overall structure of your diagram while making modifications.

Overall, it may take some trial and error to find the right settings and techniques that work for your specific diagram, but with some adjustments and practice, you should be able to make changes without the whole diagram falling apart.

1. Why does modifying one element in my Visio diagram affect the rest of the diagram?

This is likely due to the interconnected nature of diagrams in Visio. When you make a change to one element, it can affect the positioning and connections of other elements in the diagram.

2. How can I prevent my entire diagram from breaking when I make a small change?

One way to prevent this is by grouping related elements together. By grouping elements, you can make changes to one group without affecting the rest of the diagram.

3. Is there a way to undo changes that have caused my diagram to break?

Yes, you can use the undo button or keyboard shortcut to revert back to previous versions of your diagram. This can help fix any unintended changes that may have caused your diagram to break.

4. Are there any specific actions that are more likely to cause my diagram to break?

Yes, actions like resizing or moving elements, changing the layout, or deleting elements can all potentially cause your diagram to break. It's important to be careful and test your changes before making them permanent.

5. Can I make changes to my diagram without affecting the rest of the elements?

Yes, there are a few options for making isolated changes in Visio. You can use layers to separate elements, use the "lock" feature to prevent changes, or use the "auto-connect" feature to avoid manually connecting elements.